Did I screw it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrchicken

Reaction score
Brewed a Midwest Oatmeal Stout kit last weekend and wanted to add chocolate to the profile.
So I added about 2 oz of powdered cocoa to the boil.
At flame out I added 8 oz of cocoa powder mixed into about 10 oz of 80 proof whisky.

This morning it occurred to me that I had just jump started the alcohol content and might have sabotaged the yeast. :(

Any way to figure if that amount of liquor in 5 gallons would wreck my primary fermentation?
Yeast is safale S-04 Pitched at 68 degrees.
Thanks.

I would say you're fine. 10oz of whiskey in 5 gallons (640oz) is 1.5% of your beer volume. Not that the 1.5% of your volume means anything, just threw it out there for reference. This should have almost no effect because you diluted that whiskey so much. You'll be fine.

You definitely made beer.

I wonder what active fermentation will do to the flavor of the whiskey? You might be on to something totally different.

Well it smells like beer in the fermenting fridge so its doing something ! So far so good?

Back