Did i over carbinate my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwaltz19

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just finished bottling my first batch of beer ever. I did an Irish red ale from Northern Brewer, I only had about 3 gallons worth in my secondary fermenter to bottle. ( daughter got to the siphon when I was in the other room and had fun spraying down the kitchen floor with the other 2 gallons.... lesson learned) I added the whole bag of priming sugar to 16 oz of water and let it boil. Then added that to my bottling bucket and added my beer and began to bottle.It wasn't until after I put all the caps on that I realized that the bag of priming sugar was meant for a 5 gallon batch not a 3 gallon batch. Do I need to worry about over carbonation? Or is my beer fine and I'm just freaking out about nothing? It's day two in the bottles and I have some sediment starting to form in the bottom of the bottles, i know its normal but i don't know if its normal that quickly. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I think you should put those bottles in a safe place that has a drain, and where nobody is going to get hit by flying glass. Just my opinion, but as always I am hoping I'm wrong.

Sediment will form fairly quickly, and isn't an indicator of over-carbonation. Hopefully when you open the bottles the beer doesn't come shooting out like champagne!

Should I vent the beer? If so when would be a good time to do that? A week in the bottle? And couple days?

if you primed to a 5 gallon batch when you only had 3 then your beer is going to be explosive..put them in a trash bag in the basement or shed...its going to take a lot of time to save this beer...multiple purges. you can save it though..my fiend and i have been there..the caps actually started to push out after 3wks..it took something like 20 purges to correct this beer..

Not to be mean.. but this is why I went to kegging.

Keep them in a location that they can explode safely if they do. My dad's first beer also had an extreme amount of sugar added. Thinking he knew better he put almost a full cup and a half of sugar in his 5 gallons of beer. none of them exploded but they are all hyper carbed. None of the caps distended and the beer doesn't leap out of the bottle when they are uncapped (except for the one that got shaken up by a nefarious brother of mine). I don't have a whole lot of experience but I thin you used a little too much sugar as compared to my father so I think you will be okay. Just slow your pour down.

I don't carb this way, others can correct me. They give you more sugar than you need for a 5 gallon batch (don't know why) if you used all that sugar you may have bottle bombs. Don't be to hard on the kid. She will be taking care of you one day.

Guess I thought that was evident, but sometimes sarcasm goes unnoticed on the Internet.

Everybody knows that the trade-in value of children is too low to be worth the effort...

(Sarcasm)

Even if you don't have bottle bombs, be ready when you open the bottle. I slightly over-carbed my second brew, a porter. No bottle bombs, but when I open a bottle the foam flows out of the bottle like a lava flow. It doesn't spew out like a volcano, it is a slow, steady overflow. Even after a couple swigs, the ovetflow continues. We have figured out to open the bottle and immediately pour into a glass. This glass will foam to the top quickly, so have a second glass ready. After letting the foam in the glasses settle, the beer is very good. Good luck.

Guess I thought that was evident, but sometimes sarcasm goes unnoticed on the Internet.

Everybody knows that the trade-in value of children is too low to be worth the effort...

(Sarcasm)

That's BS. I adopted three and they broke me. I wish that was sarcasm

I'm thinking of just pitching the whole batch and starting over, the last thing I want is little bombs going off and hurting anyone. And yes I love my daughter and wouldn't trade her in for the world she was just being a kid.

Not sure if this will work but you could make a 3 gallon batch of the same beer then dump bottles and the new batch back into fermenter and pitch more yeast that's just what I would try

Back