did i mash too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
i wanted to mash at 156, i heated my strike water and added my grain and my temp dropped to 151, i heated the mash up to what i thought was 157 but when i returned 10-15 minutes later it was at 163, i stirred the hell out of it for about 10-15 minutes till i got it down to 156. it was scheduled to be a 1 hour mash but because of my problem i mashed for an extra 20 minutes. its a porter with a lot of roasted grains what will be the effects of my mishap

Should be fine. How long did you mash at 151- 157 for? Sometimes there are hotspots but if your doing stovetop mashing then you have to keep an eye on it throughout the mash,it can spike up by 5 minutes. Its possible most conversion can happen within 20-30 minutes anyways.

id say i mashed between 151 and 157 for about 15-20 minutes, so a fair portion, my pre boil gravity was a fair bit over, it was meant to be 1.036 but turned out at 1.040, my post boil was meant to be 1.053 and i hit 1.052 so it wasn too bad at all.

Sounds like you should get some good body with that low gravity,which is what I like to do myself.

thats what im after its a porter. i also added in a lil bit of lactose for a lil bit of body and sweetness and to hopefully bring out the sweetness in the dark malts, we'll see how it turns out hopfully i get alot of flavour from the dark malts

seems like im in a spot of bother checked the gravity, its been 5 days since i brewed this and its only down to 1.032, OG was 1.052, iv been fermenting at around 60F with S-04, i roused the yeast yesterday, iv roused it again today and raised the temp to try help it. do u think ill pick up many more points. the krausen dropped out after about 2 days. how bad is this?

You said a lot of roasted grains and mashed a little too high, how about the recipe? If you have too many less fermentable grains and too high a mash temp you get a much less fermentable wort which translates to much lower attenuation of the yeast........... Your temps also assume your thermometer is properly calibrated:)

this is true i used about 38% MO 17% pilsner 6% wheat and 5% flaked oats, i thought that would of been enough diastatic power but obviously the high temp had an effect. maybe i should of added a little bit of brown sugar during the boil that could of been a nice addition

Back