Dial thermometer in HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schach23

Reaction score
Guys, if I put my PID thermometer in the water out valve of my recirculating eherms system, why do I need a dial thermometer in the side of the HLT? Seems redundant and would save me $20.

Thanks

Scott

There's something to be said for being able to know the HLT temp when it isn't recirculating (initial heating cycle, etc). A sensor outside the HLT is going to see water that is probably cooling. I'll be using a temp sensor/PID looking at the HLT during initial heating and another sensor/PID looking at recirc water during recirc, with the appropriate one controlling the HLT burner at a given time).

Guys, if I put my PID thermometer in the water out valve of my recirculating eherms system, why do I need a dial thermometer in the side of the HLT? Seems redundant and would save me $20.

Thanks

Scott

Maybe I'm just "old school," but there is something comforting about confirming what the electronics are saying by using an analog gauge... YMMD

There's something to be said for being able to know the HLT temp when it isn't recirculating (initial heating cycle, etc). A sensor outside the HLT is going to see water that is probably cooling. I'll be using a temp sensor/PID looking at the HLT during initial heating and another sensor/PID looking at recirc water during recirc, with the appropriate one controlling the HLT burner at a given time).

If it is not recirculating, then which temperature are you taking? Stratification.... :)

If it is not recirculating, then which temperature are you taking? Stratification.... :)

The HLT will be used to recirc the mash (I'll be recirc the HLT water) and then sparge (I'll still be recirc the HLT water), so I'll always know the temp.

Latest posts

Back