Diacetyl Rest After Kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have an Amber Lager that has a STRONG diacetyl taste. I mean, you could put this stuff on your popcorn. The beer has a very nice color, good head, and under the butter the taste seems good.

I did a diacetyl rest between primary and secondary, about two days worth, but I guess the yeast was shot.

Now, I am thinking of pulling the keg out of the kegerator, letting it warm up to about 65*, and pitching another pack of yeast into it. I will give it a few days, then stick it back in the kegerator.

There will be a little sediment, but that will beat butter.

Should I add a little taste of sugar with the yeast, or just let it eat what it can find in the keg?

If you want to try this you will have to krausen it. Make a 2L or so starter *at the original gravity of your beer*, get it fermenting, and when it's at full krausen (probably 24-36 hours) pitch it into the keg. Let it ferment out, at least a week (two weeks is better). Then you will probably want to rack into another keg for serving to get it off the sediment.

A good clean ale yeast like Cali ale (US-05 dry) would do the trick, it should consume at least some of the diacetyl.

If you want to try this you will have to krausen it. Make a 2L or so starter *at the original gravity of your beer*, get it fermenting, and when it's at full krausen (probably 24-36 hours) pitch it into the keg. Let it ferment out, at least a week (two weeks is better). Then you will probably want to rack into another keg for serving to get it off the sediment.

A good clean ale yeast like Cali ale (US-05 dry) would do the trick, it should consume at least some of the diacetyl.

Thanks, I will pick up some yeast and give it a try.

I don't have anything to lose.

But next time, taste BEFORE you keg. It sorta sounds like the beer was 'rushed' into the keg prematurely.

Secondary is good for clearing, and cleaning up off flavors. A longer primary also works. Its the yeast that clean up after their own off-flavors...especially diacetyl.

Two weeks in the primary at 48*, a two day rest at 65*, two weeks in the secondary at 38*, then two weeks in the keg at 38*.

There was a minor diacetyl taste at kegging. It got worse, by a LOT.

If it is an infection, the extra yeast and fermentation probably won't help. But, it's either that, or dumping the keg.

ETA: Let me clarify. When I kegged it, I sampled the beer in the SG test tube. It tasted fine. I force carbed some of it in a 2 liter bottle and by that evening, it had some butter taste. Now, it is a LOT of butter taste.

Nothing wrong with butter beer, Harry.

But, rather than working on a timetable, let it rest warm until the flavor is right.

FWIW, I just tapped the release on the keg and gave it a sniff. The starter has been in the keg for about a day.

I smelt beer, and yeast, but no butter. Maybe this is going to work.

Back