Dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducylowycz

Reaction score
All right, I know I may catch "hell" for this but.....

How many of you winemakers use (dextrose) in the place of sugar to make your favorite wine?

I always wanted to try it and I haven't brought myself to use it yet.

I use dextrose when I make apple wines just to boost the ABV. Ive never made wines from anything but apple juice with fruit purees so I couldnt tell you the effect on grape wine.

I assuming it would be the same in whatever you make because dextrose doesnt ferment out with any flavors or aroma, just boosts the gravity.

Now I know dextrose is rapidly digested by yeast (thus beer) I wonder if that would "cut" back on the fermintation period. From let's say for sake of argument 3 months - 1 month before the bottling process...what do you think?

I have been wanting to try it and here is a list of what I made thus far with just using sugar.

Tomato - A HUGE hit!
Hibiscus
Elderberry (1-2-and -3)
Mountain Ash ***Otherwise known as Rosenberry**** Contrary to belief it's NOT poison.
Grape (1 and 2)
Apple
Dandelion
Cranberry
..forgot
Onion
potato
beet

Wow, I'd be interested in how the Tomato tastes. Ive also always wanted to try dandelion wine.

sTango said:
Wow, I'd be interested in how the Tomato tastes. Ive also always wanted to try dandelion wine.

The tomato actually tastse exactly like a white grape! It's pretty awesome wine with a nice golden color. I like dessert wine's so I made it semi-sweet. I actually made it from ripe red big beef tomato's. Next year I'll try the green and the yellow tomato's

The highest ABV I got was with the first batch of elderberry which ended up 18% ABV. Good but ya need to drink it as a shooter.

Here ya go:

This is to make a 5 Gallon batch.

30 Lbs. Red RIPE Tomato's (I used really soft one's with a lot of meat)
Cheese Cloth or Straining bag (1) *I used a fine course bag*
Campden Tablets (5) or Sodium Metabisulphate
Acid Blend (2.5) Teaspoon's
Pectic Enzyme (3) Teaspoon's
Yeast Nutrient (5)Teaspoon's
Yeast Energizer (3)Teaspoon's
7lbs Sugar *yes 7lbs*

*Sanatize everything
*Cut the green out of the tomato's.
*Put Tomato's into bag onto bottom of primary firmenter...crush with potato smasher when bag overfills.
*Tie off bag with tomato's in
*Use a simmer pot with 1 gallon of water and add your sugar, bring this to almost a boil making sure you stir vigoursly until the liquid clears (sugar syrup)
*Once cleared - slowly pour over tomato's in primary fermenter.
*add more water to your desired level on you primary fermenter.
*add everything else BUT the yeast. Wait 24hrs before adding yeast
*AFTER 24hrs. add yeast to 1/4 cup of orange juice and let sit at room temp. For (2)hrs.
*add mixture to your must.
*stir daily for 10 day's
*let sit for 2 day's
*sipon over to your secondary fermenter (carboy)
* re-rack every 2 month's or until desired
.....Let me know if I forgot anything.

thanks so much.

this would have been good to have last summer. we canned about 50 quarts of heirloom tomatoes.

with the tomatoes bagged in the primary, how do you get an OG reading? and what should the og and fg readings be?

sTango said:
thanks so much.

this would have been good to have last summer. we canned about 50 quarts of heirloom tomatoes.

with the tomatoes bagged in the primary, how do you get an OG reading? and what should the og and fg readings be?

I know I am going to catch hell for this too....I believe SG is a joke....I don't just use the juice so it's obviously going to have a different reading. I use specifically Potential Alcohol. After fermentation I verify the results with a vin-o-meter and a proof and tralle.

It sounds weird and totally nutz but I use what works for me...I wanted winemaking as a hobby - to me a hobby is supposed to be fun. Dealing with SG readings are not fun.

And to all you people who are going to "flame" me for NOT using SG, I have been getting consistant results. USE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!

With this recipe it turns out pretty consistantly 15%ABV

sTango said:
Thanks cool, I just wanted to know how to measure the abv. Its the only way I know how to do it.

Knowing that you have a hydrometer to measure SG...If it's a (3) setting hydrometer you should see the option right on there for "Potential Aclohol" and it should give you percentages....really easy to read. It's not going to be as deadly accurate as measuring specific gravity but, you'll enjoy your winemaking a LOT more that you don't have to mess around with measurements!

The only time the hydrometer and Specific Gravity is useful is when you have nothing but juice and you use it before putting in the yeast and after putting in the sugar.

Variables include, making sure ALL the sugar is dissolved before the reading, sugar content of must, ect.

...BUT I absolutley LOVE making wine, and only had 1 (3) Gallon batch not turn out. Good luck to you all and HAPPY NEW YEARS:tank:

I used a dry yeast called "Lalvin K1-V1116 (Montpellier)" I have had really awesome luck with this yeast. I let it sit out for a few hours before use and rehydrate in a little orange juice.

"This strain tends to express freshness of the grape or fruit variety, especially in Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon and Chenin Blanc, but also in fruit such as peaches, nectarines, kiwis, and strawberries. Because it produces such flowery esters as isoamyl acetate, hexyl acetate, and phenyl ethyl acetate, the natural fresh fruit aromas are retained for a longer period compared to standard yeasts. It is recommended for French hybrid whites, mature reds, and ice wines as well. This strain ferments well under stressed conditions and may be used to restart a stuck fermentation. Known among enologists as the original "killer yeast," K1 dominates almost any fermentation and is capable of fermenting to 20% alcohol if sufficient nutrients, nitrogen, and fermentable sugars are properly employed, but 18% is quite reachable. It is a fast fermenter and can tolerate a huge temerature range (50-107° F). It is not, however, tolerant of concurrent malolactic fermentation."

...thanks to http://brewersconnection.com/popup/LalvinK1V1116.htm

I made a really awesome ice grape wine this year from this strain.

Back