Desperate men do desperate things for bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
My wife took my son out today so that I could bottle some cider and beer for a party we're having next month, and to add the clarifier for the wine we hope will be done too. Only problem was, I had nowhere near enough empty bottles.

I promptly ran to the nearest beer store and proceeded to ask 3 employees including the manager, if I could pretty please buy some empties from them for the deposit price. Shot down.

I then proceeded to be not sketchy at all and hung out in front waiting to accost the first person I saw bringing back empties. " hey buddy! Are those pry offs?" Fortunately they were, and after he asked if I was doing a science experiment, he accepted my generous offer to give him 60 cents more than his return would get him at the store.

Brava, the beer of summer, comes in clear pry offs. I did not know this. I brought the home, rinsed them, rinsed again, scrubbed them, rinsed again, soaked them with soapy water, scrubbed them, rinsed again, hot oxyclean soak,, rinsed twice more, and then starsanned the crap out of them. All that and I didn't even bother to get the labels off. I was more concerned with getting them clean and fill able. The first bottle was cleanish but the rest all had mold.

It cost me 3 bucks, and a lot of elbow grease. But 24 extra bottles we're had, and the cider was bottled.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Try a craft beer bar. I emailed around, made calls, sent Facebook messages. A few places ignored my inquiries, some said no, a few said sure.

I have a manager at a restaurant nearby that'll give me cases amd cases!

Try a craft beer bar. I emailed around, made calls, sent Facebook messages. A few places ignored my inquiries, some said no, a few said sure.

I have a manager at a restaurant nearby that'll give me cases amd cases!

Local liquor store clerks. That is, when I don't have enough from our own recycling. I've only ever paid for 22 ozers and 750 ml bottles. Drank the rest. :cross:

Tonight is recycle night. I scored a six pack of Sam Adams bottles and one 22 ounce Heineken bottle

Back