Delay firearm purchase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skimo281

Reaction score
Monday I took a trip down to walmart In hopes of walking out with a new Remington 870 Express but sadly when it was called in it came back delayed. Not a problem, I understand there are things on my background that would throw some flags but I am 100 legal to possess a firearm. I was told by the employee after 3 business days if he doesn't get the call back he can legally sell me to gun but another employee the next day said walmart wont release it until it comes back as proceed.

Today is day 3 and still no call back so tomorrow would be the day I could legally buy it per say. My question is has anybody had a delay this long? He told me they've been understafed so they could have got a call but missed it, yet seemed unwilling to give them a call, and when I call ncis they won't release any info.

I'm pretty impatient and was looking forward to shooting some clay this weekend but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anybody been in a similar situation? What was the outcome and how long did it take to clear up?

Just call them. If you aren't a felon there shouldn't be a reason why you can't buy a gun. You can fly on a plane, correct?

Yeah. I had a felony arrest when I was 18 for possession but it was defered adjudication which as I understand it is not a conviction and only effect me getting a chl In which I'm just delayed several years. I think I'll show up tomorrow and make them call to see if there has been any changes.

Just call them and have them call NICS and check. It'll just take them a minute (NICS doesn't always call the FFL when someone's status changes)

I worked for an FFL and on a couple occasions, we had customers who were delayed that were NEVER proceeded. We also had a company policy that we would not release a firearm until it came back proceed. Legally they can release it after 3 days, but the company can of course enforce a stricter policy.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf is the form and on the back pages it goes over the details for the questions that you answered on the front page. Check it for details regarding your deferment.

I was delayed 5 days on a long gun and never given a proceed. Picked up my gun the next Monday. Next gun, a hand gun, years later, 3 day delay and then a proceed. Both were gun show purchases.

Before all that I was flat denied due to a warrant from an unpaid traffic ticket that I thought was thrown out at the scene. The court said I should have gotten a letter when I no showed for arraignment or after the ticket was past due. I never got it. I never got flagged at the DMV either. I did wind up paying the ticket and that was supposed to be the end of it.

This little bureaucratic misstep as dogged me for years in NICS. The system is mired in its own BS.

I have heard that one way to finally free yourself of this type of thing is to get a CHL. Going through that back ground check is supposed to purge your NICs record of mistakes.

I went and talked with them tonight and they're suppose to hear something tomorrow...I doubt it but we will see what happens. My girlfriend wanted a pistol so I tried to tell them she wanted the same shotgun in hopes to have it by the weekend and then me buying a pistol when I cleared, probably not the best way to go about it but regardless since Im on delay and we are together they wouldn't even let her fill any info out. Maybe tomorrow I'll walk out with a pistol and shotgun, could be worth the wait.

Never been delayed myself, but I proved my SSN and have a minty clean record (got my first speeding ticket last winter, age 28...) Might also help I have my Pistol Permit here in NYS...

I personally don't think anyone with a handgun license should have to go through a background check anyway. BUT, the government never agrees with me anyway lol :)

I have a very common name and was flat out denied a firearm purchase one time. I was given the number for NICS to fix the issue and it took weeks. Had to go through the state police and get fingerprint cards to send in with a bunch of paperwork. I now have a "Unique Personal Identification Number" that they give to NICS when I buy a new gun. My dad has his CCW and my wife and I are going to go through the process for ours soon. Makes the whole gun buying process much easier.

I have a very common name and was flat out denied a firearm purchase one time. I was given the number for NICS to fix the issue and it took weeks. Had to go through the state police and get fingerprint cards to send in with a bunch of paperwork. I now have a "Unique Personal Identification Number" that they give to NICS when I buy a new gun. My dad has his CCW and my wife and I are going to go through the process for ours soon. Makes the whole gun buying process much easier.

UPIN is the way to do it.

Some states will let you get through without an extended check if you have a CCH. UPIN is much more universal though (some dealers won't take the CCH route... :confused:)

Back