Degree symbol °

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

killian

Reaction score
╖¿ô☻q{╚§ƒe├Tσ╖eæm■ΘX┼j╡ò}┘ì◄≡Uµ┬S~D╪⌠↕↕↕↕îô╩µδxτ╝+Ü♂▬!,7BMx╕☼☺o♂▬▐MÜ+╝\│◙♣«Wa\│╕☼◙° oh there it is

DarkNoonBrewer

Steve Trott
Reaction score
My computer is bogus! When I hit alt 248, my internet browser toggles between the 2nd, 4th, and 8th tab open. (if there were an eighth window)

in my house its 75 gmail facebook miata.net

lame.

OP
Chap

Chap

Reaction score
My computer is bogus! When I hit alt 248, my internet browser toggles between the 2nd, 4th, and 8th tab open. (if there were an eighth window)

in my house its 75 gmail facebook miata.net

lame.
Make sure "numlock" is on.

hal2814

Reaction score
Back in the DOS days this was a fun way to hide data on public drives. I used to make a folder with the last character ALT-255. It is a blank character, like a space. Not only did very few people understand the acscii codes and how to access them, you couldn't even see that one. So the folder was in plain site and no one could open it.

Then XTREE Gold came along and ruined all my fun.
I did something similar with UNIX and a directory called '.. ' The '.' at the front means hidden directory in UNIX. On top of that '.' is the current directory and '..' is one directory up like it is in DOS. So when someone does do an 'ls -a' it just looks like there's an extra '..' which people chalked up as some sort of UNIX quirk instead of an actual hidden directory. And since it is hidden, it's still not shown in most graphical file managers.

weirdboy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I did something similar with UNIX and a directory called '.. ' The '.' at the front means hidden directory in UNIX. On top of that '.' is the current directory and '..' is one directory up like it is in DOS. So when someone does do an 'ls -a' it just looks like there's an extra '..' which people chalked up as some sort of UNIX quirk instead of an actual hidden directory. And since it is hidden, it's still not shown in most graphical file managers.
Oh, yes....lots of "secret" ftp sites back in the day used that trick.

Reaction score
Seems to me that VMS had the same dot folders (and may have predated DOS). Man that seems like a different century (oh wait...)

Sean

Reaction score
☻☻hmm, ☻When I hit Alt 258, I get a little black smiley!

Oh, I see, 248! my error! °. I like it!

petey_c

Reaction score
I'm using my PC at work. The upper numbers didn't work (just below the "F" keys), but the number pad on the right worked perfectly.

jmferris

Reaction score
Here is a way that will work regardless of what you are posting from. The HTML symbol for ° is: °

:mug:

dfc

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
We talk a lot about temps on this forum and just thought I would mention the keyboard short cut for ° is hold the alt key, then type 2, 4, 8 on the number pad.

I didn't search, so if this has been mentioned a million times before I apologize!
I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but on a mac it's shift - option - 8.

Jenks829

Reaction score
I use this function multiple times everyday.

I just wanted to add my most recent discovery. The lab engineer I work with taught me this.

I work with Excel a lot making graphs from data. I often have to draw a straight line across some data to show something. I've always done this by hand, until I was informed that:

Pressing the shift key while you are still drawing the line will produce a straight line

I love it! I am a dork!