Defrosted keg want to recarb any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshulha

Reaction score
Hi everyone
My keg froze for two days when my wife accidently pulled the the temp controller out. I have been letting it defrost slowly over the last 48 hours. I am told my beer will be fine. Thats great. But i want to recarb it. i usually let force carb it at 12psi for 12-14days but i dont want to do it that long. Anyone have a better idea? could i shack it at 12psi for 20mins or something like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this same thing happen a few years back. I found it at 8:30 in the morning the day of a festival I was supposed to take a keg to at 12:30. I spent all morning defrosting it in a bathtub of warm water, then I put it outside for the last hour or so to cool down (it was 20 degrees outside). It was tapped through a jockey box and ended up serving and tasting just fine and still carbonated. Any CO2 that was absorbed into the beer was still in the keg and let out into the beer as it warmed from ice. Since it is a closed system it had no where else to go. If you leave it on gas it will equalize any carbonation problems just fine in a day or two.

Back