Decisions, Decisions... For new equipment that is!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch S

Reaction score
So I pose the following to everyone for some input from those that may have been in my shoes. I have decided to go back to 5 gallon extract batches this year from the 1 gallon batches I have been doing. I have the gear for it (just need to replace my 6.5 gallon bucket) and could do it tomorrow if I so choose. However, I want to expand. The issue is what do I get? Here's what I've considered so far:

- 4 tap Keezer with bottling wand (have a ball lock sitting in garage. First attempt didn't get off the ground)
- Buy a SS Brewtech 7 gallon brewbucket
- Get a fridge, continue bottling, but set it up as a fermentation chamber to expand what I can brew (lagers, cold crash, etc.)

There are pros and cons to all of course. Space, time, money, wife's mental well being, etc. Maybe there's another idea out there I haven't considered. Good news is I can't pull the trigger until March. Why? Living room remodel needs to be done before the new couches show up (yes, they have cup holders!). Let me know what y'all think!

Sure, a BrewBucket and keezer can be fun/convenient/cool, but I'd definitely get a fridge or chest freezer first. Accurate, steady temperature control during fermentation will significantly improve the quality of your beer, probably more than anything else once you've got the brew day process down. And, as you say, it'll allow you to do those other things if the mood ever hits.

If you do go with the fridge or chest freezer, then get a temperature controller too.

By the way, where in north Texas?

Sure, a BrewBucket and keezer can be fun/convenient/cool, but I'd definitely get a fridge or chest freezer first. Accurate, steady temperature control during fermentation will significantly improve the quality of your beer, probably more than anything else once you've got the brew day process down. And, as you say, it'll allow you to do those other things if the mood ever hits.

If you do go with the fridge or chest freezer, then get a temperature controller too.

By the way, where in north Texas?

Good point. Was going to go the used route on a chest freezer before I posted, yet it seems they are harder to come by on Craigslist.

I’m live in a small town on Lake Lewisville called Hickory Creek. First exit off I35 once you cross the lake heading north. Been looking for a LHBS around here, but it appears Richardson is the closest one.

Good point. Was going to go the used route on a chest freezer before I posted, yet it seems they are harder to come by on Craigslist.

I’m live in a small town on Lake Lewisville called Hickory Creek. First exit off I35 once you cross the lake heading north. Been looking for a LHBS around here, but it appears Richardson is the closest one.

I also use Homebrew HQ in Richardson (will be going tomorrow). They always have what I need, and the people are great...fun to chat with and full of advice and suggestions when you need it

Got my chest freezer - 7.2 cf - at Costco for around $125. Best money I ever spent for home brewing. Costco has it every so often...if they don't have it now, they eventually will.

I also use Homebrew HQ in Richardson (will be going tomorrow). They always have what I need, and the people are great...fun to chat with and full of advice and suggestions when you need it

Got my chest freezer - 7.2 cf - at Costco for around $125. Best money I ever spent for home brewing. Costco has it every so often...if they don't have it now, they eventually will.

Second this... chest freezer with an external thermostat was the biggest leap forward I think I made for minimal investment. 7.1 cu ft freezer fits a couple of 5GL fermenters in it snugly. Ideal for those bottles as they carb up too. I think I got my freezer from Walmart for like $200.

Heavily leaning towards the freezer/fridge option for a fermentation chamber. I'm hoping to convince the wife into getting a new fridge and using the perfectly good older one as a fermentation chamber and storage for bottles, including the one off bottles I was gifted for Christmas.

Back