DC Area Group Grain Buy #23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We do this buy using an order website. You need an account on that to order, see prices, etc.

This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district.

This buy happens about 4-6 times per year. A new thread is posted each time we start a new purchasing round.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want to order, PM me your email address...I will setup an account on our ordering web site and it will email you a password. If you decide you will not be buying, PLEASE let me know so I can trim your account. Inactive accounts will likely be deleted after some period of time less than a year.
* PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay me at the personal email address I send to you via email when the buy is over. Do not use the email address the server uses! Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are. Collating email addresses is a pain! Yes I know some of you well, but there are over 100 people that participate and I am notoriously bad with names, so help me out by using your HBT handle in all communications. If you are not familiar with PayPal make sure you do so before the end of the buy as it does take some time to setup.
* You can pay in advance but I don't encourage this unless you are someone who doesn't check the buy thread ~daily or travel a lot. Remember we can refund you up to 60 days from PayPal and we can always just "pay" you if it goes beyond 60 days.
* We allow splitting of sacks (not most base malts) cuz who keeps 50 pounds of Carafa III in their local storage?
* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC; always on a Saturday from 11AM-noon. I need helpers to arrive at 10AM sharp. You MUST pick up your grain on that day during that time or have someone do it for you, NO exceptions!
* The pickup will occur the Sat. 3 weeks after the buy closes, so buy closes Friday night, order goes in Sat. AM, pick up the third Sat. AM at 3 Stars. We will allow LIMITED orders two weeks before. The reason for doing this is it gives 3 Stars 2-3 chances to order and should greatly reduce us not getting something we order.
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so and let Stonebrewer know who is picking up your grain. PLEASE help me out by making arrangements with someone else on the buy, a friend, or family member. SWMBO is patient enough to let me run this thing, but when I fill the garage with sacks of malt, she is less than happy. Help me keep her happy, because happy wife = happy life!!
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though we believe the three week rule will eliminate or minimize this. Last buy, we got sacks of Vienna that were crushed. Nothing we can do about these type of issues, so be forewarned!
* The price list is on the ordering website and is not to be shared outside this group. Do not post prices in the forum.
* You no longer have to post full sacks or splits on the forum, but I encourage you to post splits to keep the interest up.
* All full sacks and splits are ordered BY YOU on the new web site. This forum is used to communicate mainly the details of the buy AND what splits are currently available. I cannot modify your order, but YOU can.
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask. They can however sell cans...please patronize them as they help us out a lot!!!
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

* We always need help with the buy. Please collect plastic grocery bags and donate them to the cause each time you participate. We need 3-4 sets of scales and we need about 6-8 people to come early and help split sacks (10AM). We label every sack, so make sure your name is on it before taking something, and always check in or out with me.

Hopefully this buy will happen before I run out of grain.

I've had mixed results with Avangaard. I've had good results with two sacks of Vienna, but as I go through a sack of their pale ale I'm getting lower efficiency. Anyone else getting mixed results with Avangaard?

Hopefully this buy will happen before I run out of grain.

I've had mixed results with Avangaard. I've had good results with two sacks of Vienna, but as I go through a sack of their pale ale I'm getting lower efficiency. Anyone else getting mixed results with Avangaard?

I have been using Avangaard’s pale malt for about two years now and have had consistent results. I typically get btw 75-77% but that’s more of a result of equipment.... all that to say it’s been consistent for me.

Hmm... I've used Avangard Malz since it was recommended to me by the head brewer at a local brewery. I've had consistent BH efficiency around 83/84% on my electric brewery using Avangard.

Crushing yourself or getting already crushed? What about mash pH?

Maybe we need more chatter about events! Sapwood opens this weekend, and Make it Funky is Saturday. Hopefully I'll bump into some of you at one of those places.

Agreed, lets get the chatter up on this thread! I just ran out of base grain today...ooops!

BTW, I just opened a split that I got in buy #21 and found a metal scoop in the bag. Dunno who the owner is, but I'll bring to the pickup.

My last group buy here was December 2015. I still have some specialty stuff but I'm out of base malts so I gotta get in this time.

Saturday was my second year at Make it Funky and we had a great time.

I really loved Bruery Terraux's offerings, particular Foedor.

I'm also a big fan of 3 Star's Trouble in Paradise and Denizen's Backyard Boogie.

Agreed, lets get the chatter up on this thread! I just ran out of base grain today...ooops!

BTW, I just opened a split that I got in buy #21 and found a metal scoop in the bag. Dunno who the owner is, but I'll bring to the pickup.
That was my scoop! Wondered what happened to it! ;-)

Any update as to when this buy is closing? Tentative pick up date was 10/27, obviously not happening.

Hello, just checking in on this. This is my first time so quick question, there are a lot of open splits, do they need to be resolved before this buy can close?

Hello, just checking in on this. This is my first time so quick question, there are a lot of open splits, do they need to be resolved before this buy can close?

Nope, but open splits will not be included in the order. Usually towards the end of the buy there will be a push to close splits that are most of the way done.

Hey gents, just an FYI but Idiom Brewing Co finally opened! Looks like I won't be joining the buys anymore (unless I need setting and it's right around the corner). I also might be able to help with buys in Frederick County if anyone is interested!

Hey gents, just an FYI but Idiom Brewing Co finally opened! Looks like I won't be joining the buys anymore (unless I need setting and it's right around the corner). I also might be able to help with buys in Frederick County if anyone is interested!

Congratulations! I will have to check it out.

I like 3 stars but I would rather drive to Frederick on a Saturday than into DC.

Congrats! Can't wait to come see it.

There are TWO open splits of vienna, and TWO open splits of flaked oats.

Seems like the split starter could have joined an open split.

Last edited:
If this thing doesn't close out soon, I'm gonna have to bail, so that I can pack up all my junk and transfer out West.

The first Vienna split was closed, but someone must have pulled out. I pulled out of the second split I started and joined the first one.
@lfordie should do the same with the flaked oats.

Back