• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Dark malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

#1Vman

Reaction score
Hi I bought a package of unopened hops and grains, 2 x 6 gal carboys and it had a 50 lb bag of Briess Traditional Dark Dry Malt Extract DME
I was wondering if it's ok to break down and sell [Edit per OP] 3 lb bags for $10 to anyone in the Edmonton area i just want to keep 15 - 20 lbs or so for brewing. I only make darker beers now and then. It goes without saying, I would wear gloves and mask while breaking down into smaller quantities.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you split into smaller bags, do it in an area where the humidity is very low, or on a low humidity day outside. Dry weather with freezing temps is ideal.

Don't shake it out of the bag, you'd create tons of sticky dust settling everywhere. Use a scoop or large cup and gloves.

When re-packaging, seal the bags well, so air won't get in. That way the DME powder will last for years, without deterioration.

Even if it clumps or become hard as a brick over time, it's still very fine to use.
Large clumps take longer to dissolve, you can break them apart into smaller pieces by hammering on a closed bag. I had a 3# bag of Pilsen Light DME I bought in 2011 and just used up in starters. I tasted the wort it made, it was 100% OK.

Last edited:
When you split into smaller bags, do it in an area where the humidity is very low, or on a low humidity day outside. Dry weather with freezing temps is ideal.

Don't shake it out of the bag, you'd create tons of sticky dust settling everywhere. Use a scoop or large cup and gloves.

When re-packaging, seal the bags well, so air won't get in. That way the DME powder will last for years, without deterioration.

Even if it clumps or become hard as a brick over time, it's still very fine to use.
Large clumps take longer to dissolve, you can break them apart into smaller pieces by hammering on a closed bag. I had a 3# bag of Pilsen Light DME I bought in 2011 and just used up in starters. I tasted the wort it made, it was 100% OK.
Thanks for the info, I have a vacuum sealer I can split it into smaller ammounts and make a bunch of smaller packs. I didn't think of it until I read your reply.

I have a vacuum sealer
I'd NOT use a vacuum sealer with DME... to eliminate the risk that sticky hygroscopic powder gets sucked into the pump area. A most definite :no: !

Besides, they don't need to be vacuum packed. Just carefully and slowly squeeze out as much air from the bags as you can and call it a day. I've been using Glad Ziploc freezer bags for many years. But pretty much any bag would do, except the very thin ones in fear of bursting.

I've been saving oxygen barrier bags Quaker's flaked oats come in. ;)

Back