Dark IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooseknuckle2000

Reaction score
Hello, just had a question on beer categorization. I've put together a (hopefully) tasty IPA recipe, however, I substituted some extra pale extract for golden extract. Because of that, along with some steeped grains for flavor, I expect it to be more of a copper/brown when done. I know IPA's are IPA's because of the strong hop flavor, but is it still an "IPA" if it's not pale? Where is the line drawn for beer classification? I may have to name this one "Big DIPA" lol.

There isn't an official style for dark IPA's yet. However there is an un-official style known as Cascadian Dark Ale. If your beer is an IPA other than color, it's better off just to call it an IPA especially if sharing. That way people will know what to expect.

There are some related threads here.

India Brown Ale

It's all spitting hairs really at this point, but generally I think of a IBA as being more sweet and malty with scottish or caramel undertones. The CDA denotes something closer to what he is describing I think assuming he isn't adding a lot of crystal malt or leaving residual sweetness (at least for the few that know the term CDA).

I guess if it isn't totally black, then it could be called simply English Style IPA depending on the hops used.

I did use some Crystal for color and flavor, but not a ton. Not that it matters much, but I'm hesitant to call it an IBA because it doesn't have a lot of the sweet nutty characteristics of a brown. It should be more along the lines of an India Amber Ale, although maybe slightly darker in color. I guess I really need to wait until it's done before I make any decisions on what to call it...

Traditionally IPAs were not always super pale like what we think of for the American style IPA. Look at British Pale Ales (bitters). They have a copper to amber color and IPAs were usually slightly darker. Even in the US where we have become accustomed to super pale brews you will often still see copper/amber IPAs.

What sort of hops are you using?

Yeah, if not stopped soon, this thread will erupt into the whole "cascadian" battle agin.

I think most have agreed to disagree.

I have sampled---and I will continue to sample re IPAs, and other beers---of the commercial varieties and brew-pubs, etc.
The above range very widely in both color and taste, with but a few being close in taste with one another.

For instance, for my own tastes, I find Dogfish and Avery among my first choices. Even so w/Avery's ESB. From one brand to another they are all different.

This being the case, I find it curious that homebrewers strive so to achieve the particular "style."

Myself, I don't consider my brews to be anything except in the most general of terms.

Not that I am not vain enough to name my own brews.
Once I ceased brewing Stouts and Scotch Ales, I just called everything I brewed...Gunny G Ale!
I may now just go with...Twang Ale...

;)

I made a 10 gal AG of what I am calling IPA I guess.

I used 19LBs. of Pale Malt and 5 LBs. of 40-50L Crystal Malt. It came out yummy with all nugget hops added as 1.5 oz. 60 min., 1.5 oz. 30 min., and 2 oz. 2 min.

I'm using Simcoe, Chinook, and Cascade hops, so it should have a little more citrus aroma than most browns. It will be pretty dark, but still an IPA by flavor I guess...

I'm using Simcoe, Chinook, and Cascade hops, so it should have a little more citrus aroma than most browns. It will be pretty dark, but still an IPA by flavor I guess...

Worth noting that there has been a push to get "Black IPA" added as an official style with standout beers like Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous

Widmers Pitch Black IPA is a darned good example. I have to add a black IPA to my pipeline.

Take a nice IPA recipe, replace some of the crystal with carafa and a touch of roasty stuff and you are set.

It just seems like an oxymoron to say Black India PALE Ale. It should just be named something different.

I love the style, but naming it should make more sense than that.

It just seems like an oxymoron to say Black India PALE Ale. It should just be named something different.

I love the style, but naming it should make more sense than that.

Pale base malt, yet black from careful use of de-bittered black malt or carafa III. Hop as usual for an IPA.

As munche said, Sublimely Self Righteous is incredible!

No I understand pale base malt, but a lot of beers are like this and they are not called a pale ale.

As for India Black Ale sure, but the history isn't that they took a black ale from England to India and used high hop usage to preserve it on the trip. In fact a true historical IPA would be aged as warm temps and probably not have a lot of hop flavor by the time it is drunk. But that doesn't matter here.

I was just thinking it would be better to have a name that was new/original rather than just altering the name of a current style. All the styles are just a modification of another.

Why not call it American Black Ale. This is a trend in America and American type hops are generally used. High IBU beers are the trend here and it would be cool to actually create something new. ABA for the win!

Worth noting that there has been a push to get "Black IPA" added as an official style with standout beers like Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous

My best lacing and head I've had yet on a beer is a NB Black IPA I made:

DSCF7047.sized.jpg

Just had to share cause I sure like this beer despite not usually being a big hop lover usually.

I have not had the Stone mentioned above, but are any of these beers using enough coloring malt to be tasted or is this nothing more than basically "coloring" your beer?

Heres the best way to go in my opinion. Just call it an IA and when anyone asks what that means tell them its an Indian Ale, after a few seconds of their mind ticking over they may well ask, "Whats an IA and hows it different to an IPA?" You respond, "Its not pale."

Problem solved :D

Looks nice! I am making a dark IPA this weekend and using more carafa III and some debittered black malt to get it pitch black. How did yours taste? Any roasted flavors coming through the hops?

Looks nice! I am making a dark IPA this weekend and using more carafa III and some debittered black malt to get it pitch black. How did yours taste? Any roasted flavors coming through the hops?

yeah, the flavor is great. I think I might use a little more roasted barley next go round though. The Simcoe, Chinook, and Cascades come through nicely too. It has a good nose and about 74 IBUs. I'm quite happy with this recipe. :mug:

Sounds great. My batch will have an SRM of 42.3 which will be nice and black. IBUs are sitting at 68.4 which is right at the end of the American IPA range. I am using lots of cascade, centennial and amarillo to get that nice nose on it. Once I test it I will post the recipe or come back looking for ideas on changes.

Tamoore - 14 is pretty dark, more brown though I think

yeah, mine is more of an Amber IPA than a Black. The SRM is at 17.1 in BeerSmith (although it seems slightly darker IRL). I'll try to get this recipe posted as well as my Manny's Pale Ale clone soon.

There's a fair amount of variablility in the pale-ness of pale ales, India or otherwise. In my understanding, the term 'pale' was originally used in the context of 'more pale than porters' so that doesn't need to be all that pale. In fact, if wikipedia is to be believed, "Pale ale was a term used for beers made from malt dried with coke." So, if we were to use that definition, NONE of us are making actual pale ales. ;)
I guess it just goes to show how much the terminology and definitions can change over time. Either way, call it what you want, you'll be taking part in the long and storied history of making stuff up. I'm not gonna split hairs as long as I get a glass or two. :mug:

That my friend is a fine looking beer. IPA or not, thats what counts :) I cant be bothered to look up the range now but I wouldnt say thats too dark for an IPA really either, as mentioned before it is pale compared to a porter.

All of my pales come out looking like that (extract brewer). They taste great, so I never even gave it much thought. :mug:

the 14 isn't that dark though. Looks more red to me. Did you use some roasted barley or caramel/crystal for coloring? BTW, your pic is making me thirsty. I was thinking about working a little longer, but I think I need to head home now :tank:

Back