Dandelion Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egiblock

Reaction score
i've heard stories from my mother about Dandelion Wine that her dad used to make as a kid. i would like to try and duplicate it. She mentioned dandelion's, raisins, sugar, etc.. i found the following and wanted to get feedback from others to see what they have done...

thoughts ?

Ingredients
3 quarts dandelion blossoms
1 gallon water
2 oranges, with peel, preferably organic
1 lemon, with peel, preferably organic
3 pounds sugar
1 package wine yeast
1 pound raisins, preferably organic

Directions

Place dandelion blossoms in the boiling water, and allow to stand for 4 minutes. Remove and discard the blossoms, and let the water cool to 90 degrees F (32 degrees C).

Stir in the yeast, sugar, orange slices, and lemon slice, raisins; pour into a plastic fermentor, and attach a fermentation lock. Let the wine ferment in a cool area until the bubbles stop, 10 to 14 days. Siphon the wine off of the lees, and strain through cheesecloth before bottling in quart-sized, sterilized canning jars with lids and rings. Age the wine at least a week for best flavor.

Also, you may want to cool off to lower than 90 degrees before pitching wine yeast, thats still a little hot.

Back