D47 Sulfur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Covey

Reaction score
I started three meads on 11/30(first meads I've ever attempted).

1)Orange blossom session mead with D47 OG=1.058
2)Spiced mead with D47 OG=1.098
3)Mixed Berry mead with 71B OG = 1.125

They have fermented well, and the two with D47 have fermented dry(around .998). The Berry mead isn't far behind at 1.010, but I suspect primary is about finished on that one. The question I have is that the two with the D47 yeast are giving off a horrible sulfur smell while the one with the 71B smells great. These are all 4-5 gallon batches and I pitched two packets of yeast in each and did the staggered nutrient addition as well as degassed every day. Also, I've kept these cool and I don't think they ever got above the upper 60's during primary and were usually in the low 60's. Is this something I need to worry about, or is it just something to expect when using that yeast?

I have 2 gallons of cysers that just finished primary with D47 and got no sulfur at all. I used the same protocol you did, and temps were 60-62F. I've read that D47 will make fusel alcohols above 65° but haven't seen any reports of sulfur smells. What have you been using for nutrients?

Were you actively measuring the temperature during fermentation of just basing it off of ambient room temp?

Were you actively measuring the temperature during fermentation of just basing it off of ambient room temp?
I have an infrared thermometer and was measuring the side of the bucket. I realize it could have been a little higher in the fermenter, but I never got a reading above 68 degrees.

I have 2 gallons of cysers that just finished primary with D47 and got no sulfur at all. I used the same protocol you did, and temps were 60-62F. I've read that D47 will make fusel alcohols above 65° but haven't seen any reports of sulfur smells. What have you been using for nutrients?
I used Fermax for the staggered nutrient additions.

I would degas and let sit in primary for a few more weeks to let the yeast clean up behind themselves

Generally speaking the sulfur smell is a sign of a lack of nutrients. 71b has a lower nutrient requirement than many other wine yeasts, so that might be the reason it smells fine. I am not familiar with the requirements for D47, but if everything else was the same, it seems reasonable. However, this is just my best guess. If you have access to kegging equipment, you might be able to scrub the sulfur out using co2 down the pick up tube and venting out the excess. Good luck.

-J-

Latest posts

Back