Custom kettle: 1.5" or 2" TC heating element port?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

Reaction score
Title about sums it up :)

Getting a custom kettle from Spikes and just noticed that Bobby @ Brewhardware offers a nice looking 1.5" TC 5500W heating element. So, seems I could save some $$ by going with that over my original plan of: conventional 5500W element + Dragon Element Guard.

My concern is that the TC element is less universal and might not be available whenever I need to replace it.

So I guess I'm still leaning toward hedging my bets with the 2" port...whadda ya'll think??

Technically both are okay. The real question in my opinion is what will be your source for elements? Or when you have to replace your element for whatever reason. For that, I would choose whatever makes it easy to get a replacement element in the future. (Best guess)

2" is easier to get a ripple element in and out of the kettle but the 1.5" works with a little wiggling.

Bobby also sells this: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/2etc.htm You can put any kind of standard 1" NPS heating element into it, so replacement isn't tied into the more expensive TC element. You also have more options with regards to heater element power this way...

I went with 2" TC because the ULWD elements are usually ripple and it's very hard to wiggle those through a 1.5" port.

That said, if you go with the elements that have a built-in plug they make them only for 1.5" TC. They cost more, roughly what it cost to get a normal element + adapter. My thought was, if/when the element fails i'd rather be able to re-use the adapter and buy a cheap element rather than be stuck buying the more expensive TC element replacement.

X2 on what @postalbunny said.

On top of that, I truly believe the StillDragon type element enclosure is the best out there. It uses standard industrial sanitary (tri clover) parts that are beyond robust. It will last forever, is dead simple, compact, etc, etc. The other enclosures are all fighting for second best design.

My $0.02

:mug:

I also went with the still dragon, they are def good quality. I bought 4x as i did dual elements in my hlt and bk. Solid pieces, no complaints.

I went with 1.5 on my homebrew and 2" on the 3 bbl at the brew pub because the 2" are easier to remove and theres 8 of them in setup. The manufacturer where I order my elements have both the 2" and 1.5" based elements for the same price.

element1.png
I went with 2" TC because the ULWD elements are usually ripple and it's very hard to wiggle those through a 1.5" port.

That said, if you go with the elements that have a built-in plug they make them only for 1.5" TC. They cost more, roughly what it cost to get a normal element + adapter. My thought was, if/when the element fails i'd rather be able to re-use the adapter and buy a cheap element rather than be stuck buying the more expensive TC element replacement.
see above.. Not entirely accurate actually. Yuling makes them for either. and they are cheaper.. I paid about $320 for 10 of them I think with shipping or $62 for two shipped to my home. this is direct from the manufacturer not through a reseller.

This is an old image the base is black now.

Last edited:
That's exciting... i emailed asking a few vendors about 2" tc versions of elements and none had planned to make any. When swapping up to a 5500 i considered getting one to see if its easier than managing the adapters with pigtails. At least theyre out there... hopefully the prices will come down, but i doubt ill ever need a replacement soon.

I paid about $320 for 10 of them I think with shipping or $62 for two shipped to my home. this is direct from the manufacturer not through a reseller.

Very interesting! I like the integrated plug of these TC elements,s so if 2" versions are readily available this seems like the way to go. Where do you order these from?

Very interesting! I like the integrated plug of these TC elements,s so if 2" versions are readily available this seems like the way to go. Where do you order these from?
Allen Gu

T: 0086-523-88169200 | F: 0086-523-88616011 | M: 0086-15371574001
Facebook:Allen Gu
QQ: 2851578326
Wechat: 0086-15371574001
WhatsApp :+8615371574001
Address: Qintong industrial Park, Jiangyan District, Taizhou City, Jiangsu Province,China
E: [email protected]
W: http://www.china-yuling.com

Send him an email. they are on alibaba but for "sample" ordered they dont deal through there.. I literally just paypal him the order and he mails the elements to me in about a week both times.. I have sent others his way and have this info in my build thread below.

FYI they might have gone up a few bucks since my last order IDK but still.. anything below $50 shipped is better than what they sell for on ebay.

Allen Gu

T: 0086-523-88169200 | F: 0086-523-88616011 | M: 0086-15371574001
Facebook:Allen Gu
QQ: 2851578326
Wechat: 0086-15371574001
WhatsApp :+8615371574001
Address: Qintong industrial Park, Jiangyan District, Taizhou City, Jiangsu Province,China
E: [email protected]
W: http://www.china-yuling.com

Send him an email. they are on alibaba but for "sample" ordered they dont deal through there.. I literally just paypal him the order and he mails the elements to me in about a week both times.. I have sent others his way and have this info in my build thread below.

FYI they might have gone up a few bucks since my last order IDK but still.. anything below $50 shipped is better than what they sell for on ebay.

Super. Thanks!

(BTW, the progress thread link in your signature is not working for some reason)

Back