Cure for foamy hydrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KidMoxie

Reaction score
Whenever I take a SG reading with my hydrometer I have a hard time getting an accurate reading because of a few mm of foam at the surface.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the foam?

Wait a little for foam to disolve? I have this issue sometimes, a little patience and time cures all.

Accidentally linked a huge picture with my last hydrometer reading with foam. Removing.

what temp is the beer?

looks like break material inside the hydrometer, normally it is clearer than your pictured sample.

or fill the hydrometer up to the very top and let the foam/bubbles over flow.

-=Jason=-

I find that if I lift the hydrometer all the way out, then place it slowly back in the foam dissipates. It foams up from pouring the beer/wort into the test tube.

I find that if I lift the hydrometer all the way out, then place it slowly back in the foam dissipates. It foams up from pouring the beer/wort into the test tube.

This works every time for me. Just pulling it out and putting it back in (insert perverted comment here lol :ban:) and that seems to do the trick

Take your sample and pour into glass 1
Pour into glass 2
Pour into glass 1
Pour into glass 2
Pour into glass 1
Pour into glass 2
Pour into glass 1
Pour into glass 2
Pour into glass 1
Pour into glass 2
Pour into glass 1
Pour into glass 2
Pour back into sample tube and wait 5 minutes
Take a gravity reading.
The foam is caused by CO2 created during fermentation. Pouring from one vessel to another will knock that CO2 out of the solution, and waiting a few minutes after the last pour should give you a good reading.

-a.

Take your sample and pour into glass 1
Pour into glass 2
Pour into glass 1
Pour into glass 2
Pour into glass 1
Pour into glass 2
Pour into glass 1
Pour into glass 2
Pour into glass 1
Pour into glass 2
Pour into glass 1
Pour into glass 2
Pour back into sample tube and wait 5 minutes
Take a gravity reading.
The foam is caused by CO2 created during fermentation. Pouring from one vessel to another will knock that CO2 out of the solution, and waiting a few minutes after the last pour should give you a good reading.

-a.

+1 Degass the sample first

You guys put wayyyy to much thought into this. I take readings right from the pail, I only extract if it's in a better bottle. I use a sanitized plastic spoon to move some foam away and take the reading. If I do need to extract I just do it carefully, or at least I must be careful, because I have never had it foam when transferring to a jar.

Calichusetts said:
refracto-time! Plus, its close to the holidays, have someone grab you one.

Exactly. Have one coming from the in-laws for Christmas. Now I just have to plan a brew day so I can calibrate my new toy/tool.

Latest posts

Back