Crushed grain shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrestonGohlke

Reaction score
I have the crushed grain for a batch that has been in my fridge about 5 months.

Would y'all use it? Thinks its ok? Hate to just throw it out.

Thanks!

Smell & taste it after letting it come to room temp. Moisture is not good for malt so it may have degraded it or caused other issues. If it tastes fine then I'd use it. In the future, vacuum seal to remove air and store cool but not in the fridge.

Do what Samc recommended above. If it smells fine, then I wouldn't be afraid to use it. I mismanaged my brewing supplies once. I left a pre-crushed California Common recipe sit in a box in a corner of my basement a little over 7 months - Wyeast pack and all. My basement is finished and generally very dry. First concern was mealy moths - none present. Yeast didn't activate. I went ahead with my brewday and was surprised that I hit only 2 points low of the target OG. I pitched an American Ale yeast I had on hand. I called it my California Common Gone Wrong, but it was one of the better brews I have done. Mistakes can occasionally turn up pleasant surprises!

I generally buy a whole pound of specialty grain from the LHBS and only use what is called for in the recipe. I have about a dozen different grains in my cabinet that are resealed and in an air tight rubbermaid container. Havent had any issues yet. Maybe one day ill make a special cabinet cleaner ale with them lol.

Hmm, not store in the fridge? That's interesting, I had figured the fridge would be the best place, but that makes sense. You learn a lot eavesdropping on other people's threads...

Back