Crowdsource attempt to buy Pabst

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdbreen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
They've almost reached their goal.

From the web site:

"Born out of the principle of crowdsourcing, two advertising agencies have come together for a first...to buy Pabst Brewing Co., brewers of over 25 well known beer brands. The asking price is $300 Million, not a small number, but through crowdsourcing pledges of as little as $5.00, the cost of a bottle of beer, this can be achieved based on the largest crowdsourced audience assembled, ever.

As the pledges come in, the ticker above will countdown to zero, whereby an offer will be made to purchase Pabst Brewing Co. through a historic first.

So, c’mon, let’s have a beer together."

http://www.buyabeercompany.com/

So... who actually will reap the rewards of owning the label? The clever guy who put the website together?

"Hey, give me some money, and we'll all work together to buy a huge brewing brand. I'll send you a certificate and some crap beer, and then I'll sit back and get wealthy."

So... who actually will reap the rewards of owning the label? The clever guy who put the website together?

"Hey, give me some money, and we'll all work together to buy a huge brewing brand. I'll send you a certificate and some crap beer, and then I'll sit back and get wealthy."

Sounds pretty brilliant to me.

yeah, but hell.... if everybody gave me $300M, I promise to send them TWO certificates and some good beer.

Maybe I should set up a competing site?

Seriously though, I wonder how many people will actually make good on their pledges? He's going to make an offer based on "promises" from millions of people and probably won't collect anything to actually pay the bill.

Back