Crossing boarders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BittererPlease

Reaction score
Hello all,
I will be traveling to Canada this summer for a fishing trip. Anyone know if I can bring some homebrew across the boarder? I know you can only bring 24 12 oz. bottles per person of age, but I have not found anything about it being a homebrew. This might just be a fuzzy area of the law, for America does not have their act to gether with homebrew legislation...I would not like to have my brew get confiscated by some mounties!
Thanks!

What does "America does not have their act to gether (together?) with homebrew legislation" have to do with bringing alcohol into Canada?

To answer your question..yes you can bring 24 - 12oz cans/bottles of beer into Canada. I bring Growlers all the time as well as bottled homebrew. The amount does vary by province, but all I have ever gone into allowed 24 - 12oz cans/bottles.

Sorry with the lack grammar skills, posted that when I woke up. Yea, I was just wondering because this will not be a licensed-sealed-product. Since it is a homebrew, the boarder officials could think that it could be anything in those bottles because it will not have an "official" label or bottle top, or will be in an "official" box for that matter. I just wanted to be safe rather that sorry. I may just be a stickler for details. I know that they do comprehensive boarder checks on the crossing that I will be using, Buffalo, and my friends have gotten things confiscated that they thought they could bring across.

Thank you for your help,
Zach

Yeah, through a respectable label on them and youll be fine. Thats why I use growlers alot as its less labels to apply.

Oh, It wasn't the grammar so much as what did you mean by America not having their act together and how does that effect transport of homebrew across the border?

Just as a preface, I am a law student. The laws were created before transferring a homebrew might have been an issue, so there is no legislative intent on what to do with homebrews. So it is unclear what the statutes mean by "beer." Do they mean beer that has had a tax paid upon it and the producer is licensed with their state? Or does "beer" mean any product, whether produced by me in my backyard, or by an official, licensed producer. I have not yet done sufficient research, I just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure before I spent them time.

Back