Cross-contamination with a SCOBY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smit70136

Reaction score
My wife brews Kombucha and (apparently) used some of my bottles when she ran out. Those bottles didn't get cleaned as thoroughly as they should have and, like magic, I grew something that looks like it belongs in the X-files. I wasn't brave enough to taste it but the vinegar smell coming from my otherwise awesome APA was enough to give it away. Moral of the story - use bleach, a dishwasher, exposure around 1,000 rads or don't share bottles with a Kombucha brewer!View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440471980.866775.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440471996.665596.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440472007.751407.jpg

Wishing I had tasted it now. Last night I was concerned about drinking a new probiotic just before leaving town! No one knows how many bottles she "borrowed" so I may have more growing as we speak. I have experimented with adding a SCOBY at different stages of fermentation with little success obtaining anything drinkable. (Before you ask - that was a while back and yes, I thoroughly sterilized anything that could have possibly come in contact with the bugs. I'm a bit OCD about it in fact.)

Back