Critique Red Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaneicker

Reaction score
I've come up with a new recipe for a red rye IPA. What I'm trying to accomplish is an IPA with some malt backbone, a deep reddish hue, and massive hop flavor and aroma. I'm also trying out some hops I haven't used before. Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated.

5.5 lb Maris Otter Pale
2.2 lb Rye
2.2 lb Munich
0.44 lb Caramel/Crystal 120L
0.44 lb CaraRed
0.22 lb Roasted Barley

0.4 oz Galena (US) - 60 min First Wort
1.0 oz Cluster (US) - 30 min Boil
1.0 oz Horizon (US) - 15 min Boil
1.0 oz Perle (US) - 5 min Boil
1.0 oz Horizon (US) - 7 days Dry Hop
1.0 oz Cluster (US) - 7 days Dry Hop
1.0 oz Perle (US) - 7 Days Dry Hop

Wyeast American Ale II

OG - 1.061
FG - 1.016
IBU - 59
SRM - 20
ABV - 6.0%

To be honest i think i would swap out some of those hops unless you are trying to use some up. I think most of them have pretty low oil levels and are better for lagers.

I was going to say the same thing about the hops, but based on the recipe and planned FG, it looks like the plan is for this to be more of a malty beer with high IBUs. I think you will get a lot of malt and a little caramel character with little hop flavor but a decent amount of bitter bite. If this is what you are going for then I say go for it. It may even be decent to have those high IBUs to balance the sweetness of this beer.

What temp do you plan to mash at? I would say you are already pretty far from the normal American or English IPA, so maybe try to create something new to see what you have. Mash a little higher (152-153) finish with a high FG. Make this a malty beer first and foremost, and see what this hops combo does. I'd especially be intrigued at aroma these three non-aroma hops give with 3 oz of dry hopping.

You know it just hit me what I think this may end up tasting like. Woodstock Inn in NH makes the 4000 Foot IPA and it is a red/brown base with lots of herbal, earthy hops. It is far from what I enjoy in an easy drinking IPA, but good enough and unique for this time of year.

If you're wanting massive hop flavor and aroma, I would change up the hop choices to something with more pronounced flavors appropriate for IPA's, such as the C-hops, australian hops, etc.

I was planning on mashing around 152 and looking to create a medium body beer will a lot of malt backbone, but also quite hoppy. I'm not married to the hop selection and may go back to my favorite two hops (Cascade and Centennial) or possible Centennial and El Dorado. I was just looking to experiment with some non-IPA type hops - eg. Sam Adams Latitude 48 is hopped exclusively with Hallertau Mittelfrueh. I've had a couple really good locally brewed IPAs that were 80+ IBU, but because of the malt backbone, they were incredibly smooth. Don't get me wrong, I love a good American IPA, but I feel like the malts are sometimes overlooked and under-appreciated with a lot of the IPAs out there.

Back