Critique of oatmeal stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porterguy

Reaction score
Is this going to be too harsh with this combination of darker grains? I'm fairly new at totally creating my own recipes (lots of clone recipes over the years).

Thanks!

7 lb. maris otter
8 oz. double roasted crystal malt
4 oz. chocolate wheat
4 oz. English very dark crystal (150-160 SRM)
6 oz. roasted barley
1 lb. flaked oats

2 oz. willamette hops
S-04 yeast
BIAB 156 degree mash

This looks about right, actually. Chocolate wheat is huskless, so it doesn’t bring the astringency the same way roasted barley does.

Kudos for using DRC, which is pretty much the best malt ever, and has “smooth” written all over it.

The oats are going to contribute plenty of body, so I don’t know that you need to mash that high.

You didn’t specify timing of the hop additions, but Willamette is a good choice, and at least some of it should go in later than 15 minutes.

Basically agreed o the above.

You could add more dark malt, but definitely don't need to (could add, not should add). A couple ounces if you feel the need but again don't need to at all.

The 2 crystals will be similar I think, I'd consider getting down to maybe 8oz. total of one or the other. Even 6oz will be noticeable but again it depends on what you're shooting for.

New and improved? How's this look?

7 lb. maris otter
4 oz. chocolate wheat
6 oz. roasted barley
1 lb. flaked oats

1.75 oz Willamette at 60 min.
.25 oz. Willamette at 10 min.
S-04 yeast
BIAB 154 degree mash

Will be following. Love oatmeal stout. Too new to be off any assistance though. Good luck:bigmug:

7 lb. maris otter
4 oz. chocolate wheat
6 oz. roasted barley
1 lb. flaked oats

S-04 yeast
BIAB 154 degree mash
I have a imperial stout recipe I putting together to brew, sometime before the end of the year, that's quite similar to this. I'm planning on using chocolate rye instead of chocolate wheat. Also going to add 4.5% golden naked oats. I've never used them before and want to see what they bring to a stout.
Single bittering charge of magnum, and a 152° mash.

If you want a bit more "toasty" flavors, you can roast the oats in the oven. I found this adds a lot of nice complexity to stouts.

7 lb. maris otter
4 oz. chocolate wheat
6 oz. roasted barley
1 lb. flaked oats

S-04 yeast
BIAB 154 degree mash

I'd brew it. Take notes and tweak next time. Good start.

Back