Critique my new year's porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloslavin

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need some critique/assistance/assurance on a recipe I dessigned to be our new year's eve beer. I've been brewing for a while, but don't have much expertise in putting my own recipes together. I got heavy inspiration from other recipes I had seen for this one.

I guess you could call it a bit stronger robust porter. The idea for 5 gallons is:

10.5# 2 row (72%)
1.5# Munich (10%)
1# C75 (7%)
12oz Chocolate Malt (5%)
6oz Black Malt (3%)
6oz Brown Sugar (3%)

1oz EKG @15min
.5oz Willamette @0min
Whatever Magnum @60min I need for 35IBUs

OG: 1.075
FG: 1.015
ABV: 8.3%
Yeast: US-05
IBUs: 35
SRM: 35

The thing I'm going for is something malty and a little roasty, not too sweet as some heavier winter beers usually end up being. Nice sipper for new year's. I know winter beers usually have spices on them, but I'm not a super fan so rather omit them. I'd be cooking it in the next few days to give it some months of conditioning.

I'm also thinking about adding 4-6oz of coarsely ground coffee at flameout, letting it steep for 5-10 minutes before cooling. I once made a (smaller) robust porter with coffee at flameout and my friends seemed to really dig it.

Any critique on this is much appreciated :mug:

If you like coffee, consider trying coffee malt sometime. It's at the lighter realm of the roasted spectrum. Even less than chocolate malt. Imparts that smooth creamy flavor of a good cup of joe, as well as some chocolate and a bit of nuttiness. No Ash or astringency at all. I make an imperial Porter with exclusively coffee malt. I use 7# in 11g iirc. Aside from that, it's just 2 row, dextrin malt and a blend of Crystal malts.
In regards to your recipe, lots fine to me. I use dextrin malt to add mouth feel, and mash low to ensure that it doesn't finish sweet. My best batch of my recipe so far was a single infusion at 149, using Pacman. 1.077->1.012 or so. Good creamy mouth feel, but not slick like I can find oats to be at times.

If you like coffee, consider trying coffee malt sometime. It's at the lighter realm of the roasted spectrum. Even less than chocolate malt. Imparts that smooth creamy flavor of a good cup of joe, as well as some chocolate and a bit of nuttiness. No Ash or astringency at all. I make an imperial Porter with exclusively coffee malt. I use 7# in 11g iirc. Aside from that, it's just 2 row, dextrin malt and a blend of Crystal malts.
In regards to your recipe, lots fine to me. I use dextrin malt to add mouth feel, and mash low to ensure that it doesn't finish sweet. My best batch of my recipe so far was a single infusion at 149, using Pacman. 1.077->1.012 or so. Good creamy mouth feel, but not slick like I can find oats to be at times.

Some good ideas! I'll consider swapping some malt out for some Carapils. Guess you can't have *too* much mouthfeel in a winter sipper.

I had also considered mashing lower than my usual dark beers (152ish) and added the sugar so that it would end up with a lower FG. I dread what I think of as the typical RIS sweetness, although that probably starts showing itself until you're in the 1.09+ range. I'll consider lowering those 153 even further.

As for the Coffee malt, that's definitely on my to-try list (along with Brown malt), but I think I'll get more familiar with that malt before using it in a bigger beer. I have a London porter in line for the Brown malt, I think a smaller porter with the same idea as your imperial one would be a good way for me to get familiar with what the Coffee malt brings to the table.

Thanks for the input :mug::mug:

Back