Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I'm a newbie to all grain brewing. When you say "single infusion mash @ 152 degrees" does that mean throw all 14.26 gallons into the mash tun at the same time for 90 mins? no sparging or anything?

Hello, I'm a newbie to all grain brewing. When you say "single infusion mash @ 152 degrees" does that mean throw all 14.26 gallons into the mash tun at the same time for 90 mins? no sparging or anything?

“Single infusion mash @ 152 degrees” is a redundant way of saying “mash @ 152 degrees”. If it were a step mash, decoction, etc it would be listed.

I don’t mean “redundant” as wrong or a mistake, just as we all tend to say the long version when it’s not needed.

Kinda like how we say “close proximity” as if there is such thing as a “far proximity”.

“Single infusion mash @ 152 degrees” is a redundant way of saying “mash @ 152 degrees”. If it were a step mash, decoction, etc it would be listed.

I don’t mean “redundant” as wrong or a mistake, just as we all tend to say the long version when it’s not needed.

Kinda like how we say “close proximity” as if there is such thing as a “far proximity”.

Okay, gotcha. Does that mean that all recipes with sparging are considered step mashing? again, totally new so I apologize if that is a super simple question.

Okay, gotcha. Does that mean that all recipes with sparging are considered step mashing? again, totally new so I apologize if that is a super simple question.

While I don’t think anyone minds helping out, there might be better boards here to ask process questions. That’s not an admonishment; just thinking you might get better responses in "Beginner Brewing" versus a thread about a specific recipe.

That being said, mashing and sparging are different processes; mashing consists of soaking the grains to release their sugars and allow certain enzymes to break them down. Sparging comes after mashing and is how the liquid (wort) is separated from the grains in preparation for the boil.

Nice and tasty corn influence. I don't quite like the nose in a glass, but that's likely my amateur fault.
Outta the bottle, though, this is a winner and a thirst quencher and a drinker.
And the drinkier I more of them, the quenchier I get.

Cream of 3 Crops2.jpg

I brewed this on 6/15/18. I made a 10 gallon batch without changing the grain bill (but will probably end up being only 8-9 gallons bottled) and my final gravity was 1.047.

I split the batch into two fermenters (5 gallons in each) and used two different yeasts.
The glass carboy got WYEAST KÖLSCH 2565 (smack pack-liquid)
The fermenting bucket got LALLEMAND NOTTINGHAM (dry, but I re-hydrated in a half-cup of water before adding to the fermenter)

Both starting bubbling in the airlocks within 6 hours. The Kolsch was really going at it.
Now, almost 1 week later, the Kolsch is still letting bubbles go 1 every 10 seconds or so.
The Nottingham dropped to no activity (or longer than I want to wait and watch) days ago.

Both fermenters are on a concrete floor in my water softener room in the basement, where the city water comes in the house. The temp in that room is about 62-63F (even with the air conditioning off). I have no external temperature control - just ambient air with the bi-fold door closed. The home central AC was on the first few days due to the high heat outside. Though, that small room doesn't change temperature very much if at all.

Both yeasts have a range from 56-70F. But, I think that they recommend lower temps than I have them at.

I'm wondering if I'm OK and should just let them go, or if I need to do something to get the Nottingham bubbling again.

How long should I let them go in primary? Both the same amount of time? Should I do a secondary (I can, but would rather not if it's not needed).

No secondary for this one, and I cannot comment on how long you should let them go. Are you not simply going to take hydrometer readings to determine when they're done or?

No secondary for this one, and I cannot comment on how long you should let them go. Are you not simply going to take hydrometer readings to determine when they're done or?
I've made only about 5-6 extract kits prior to this brew and haven't taken gravity readings during fermenting in the past. I've just let them sit long enough for them surely to be done. I thought that might be better than risking contamination by testing gravity 2-3 times. I'd only taking a gravity reading on bottling day.

I guess my main concern was the difference in the 2 fermenters and yeast activity in one, but not the other. And if I should be worried about that, or do anything to the Nottingham that's not doing anything now - like changing its temperature, shaking the bucket, etc.

Last edited:
I've made only about 5-6 extract kits prior to this brew and haven't taken gravity readings after fermenting in the past. I've just let them sit long enough for them surely to be done. I thought that might be better than risking contamination by testing gravity 2-3 times. I'd only taking a gravity reading on bottling day.

I guess my main concern was the difference in the 2 fermenters and yeast activity in one, but not the other. And if I should be worried about that, or do anything to the Nottingham that's not doing anything now.

Is it possible that the Nottingham just finished quicker? I know it attenuates higher which would (in my mind) result in the inverse affect, but what do I know. I thought it liked higher temps though? Any time I use Nottingham in my garage I heat wrap it just in case. You might consider that if possible.

I brought the bucket upstairs and put a blanket around it. I applied a hair dryer for 30 seconds and it's already started bubbling through the airlock again. Not sure this was a good idea.

I suppose I may be making a mountain out of nothing though - if the yeast has a 54-70F temp range. I just need to wait longer? And adding heat is not really necessary, or desired? I got worried after reading the "leave it alone" thread and put the bucket back where it was in the basement.

I suppose I just need to take a gravity reading to really know the facts.

And, maybe because the glass carboy may seal better than a fermenting bucket might explain why I see bubbles in the carboy and not the bucket. The CO2 could be escaping someplace other than the airlock from the bucket.

Another question - when adding the hops to the boil, I put them in a mesh bag I used to use for steeping grains when extract brewing. It's a pretty big bag. I'm wondering if this might have been a mistake, instead of just dumping the hops in freely into the kettle. My intention was to reduce the hop gunk, which it did. I hope I didn't "mess with the recipe" by the hops being too restricted to impart the flavor.

Last edited:
My first time brewing cream of 3 crops.
Had 5 vanilla pods left. Made a vanilla and vodka tincture. Was left infusing for 3 e
Weeks before straining and adding to keg

Great taste of vanilla. Love this beer for a hot summers day

Happy 4th Y'all
IMG_0026.JPG

My modified, small batch version.

Preboil OG: 1.044
Postboil OG: 1.086
FG: 1.026
ABV: 7.88%
Grain bill: 3lbs of 2row, 0.5lbs of flaked corn, and 0.75lbs of flaked rice (grain cost $17.02)
Hops: (it's what I had on hand) 0.5oz of Hallertau Mitterlfuh at 2.7% Alpha Acid and 0.5oz of Willamette at 5.4% Alpha Acid
Yeast: Safale K-97 (dry yeast, no rehydration)

Pretty damn tasty! Wife liked it and she's always my biggest critic
IMG_20180629_203628.jpg

Cherry tincture added at glass, tasty
IMG_20180630_123922.jpg

Apricot tincture added at glass, preferred over raspberry
IMG_20180630_130236.jpg

Last edited:

Grain bill: 3lbs of 2row, 0.5lbs of flaked corn, and 0.75lbs of flaked rice (grain cost $17.02)
Hops: (it's what I had on hand) 0.5oz of Hallertau Mitterlfuh at 2.7% Alpha Acid and 0.5oz of Willamette at 5.4% Alpha Acid

View attachment 577971

View attachment 577972

View attachment 577973

WOW - What did you add to achieve a 1.086 gravity off of 3lbs of grain?

How would I do This is a 5 gal mini mash? Don’t have all the equipment to do a all grain.

I brewed this on 6/15/18. I made a 10 gallon batch without changing the grain bill (but will probably end up being only 8-9 gallons bottled) and my final gravity was 1.047.

I split the batch into two fermenters (5 gallons in each) and used two different yeasts.
The glass carboy got WYEAST KÖLSCH 2565 (smack pack-liquid)
The fermenting bucket got LALLEMAND NOTTINGHAM (dry, but I re-hydrated in a half-cup of water before adding to the fermenter)

Both starting bubbling in the airlocks within 6 hours. The Kolsch was really going at it.
Now, almost 1 week later, the Kolsch is still letting bubbles go 1 every 10 seconds or so.
The Nottingham dropped to no activity (or longer than I want to wait and watch) days ago.

Both fermenters are on a concrete floor in my water softener room in the basement, where the city water comes in the house. The temp in that room is about 62-63F (even with the air conditioning off). I have no external temperature control - just ambient air with the bi-fold door closed. The home central AC was on the first few days due to the high heat outside. Though, that small room doesn't change temperature very much if at all.

Both yeasts have a range from 56-70F. But, I think that they recommend lower temps than I have them at.

I'm wondering if I'm OK and should just let them go, or if I need to do something to get the Nottingham bubbling again.

How long should I let them go in primary? Both the same amount of time? Should I do a secondary (I can, but would rather not if it's not needed).
Curious how this tasted with a kolsch yeast! Any updates on the two batches?

Curious how this tasted with a kolsch yeast! Any updates on the two batches?
I just tried a bottle made with Nottingham (yes, its only 11:30am). It's pretty tame compared to what I usually drink - stout/ale/porter - obviously.
But, it's very good. Very easy drinking. Fairly clear - but some haze. Some of that might be condensation on the glass. Comparing it to a BMC type beer is pretty accurate. But with a bit smoother flavor.
Another week or 2 bottle conditioning and this will be awesome.

I'm going to like brewing on my new BIAB system.

I'll try a bottle made with the Kolsch yeast in a couple hours and post again.

DSC01294-smaller.jpg

The Kolsch yeast seems very similar to the Nottingham. Though - I'm trying them 1 hour apart. I should really try them side-by-side to check for differences. I'll need to get some family members and friends to do the same for other opinions.

After the 2 weeks after bottling, I think the Kolsch had a bit better head at initial pour and afterwards. There wasn't much difference though.

I'm not a beer judge, nor know subtleties in beers.

Again, very smooth. Not bitter or a bite to it at all (I dislike IPAs). It really seems like a smoother Miller or Corona type beer, just not quite as clear. Very easy drinking. I think I like the Kolsch a bit better at this point. I'll try them side-by-side later. Have to get some more in the fridge.

My wife and daughter drink Stella, Corona and similar. My wife tried a taste and said it was very good. I'm sure my daughter will also.

Thanks for this great recipe.

The Kolsch yeast seems very similar to the Nottingham. Though - I'm trying them 1 hour apart. I should really try them side-by-side to check for differences. I'll need to get some family members and friends to do the same for other opinions.

After the 2 weeks after bottling, I think the Kolsch had a bit better head at initial pour and afterwards. There wasn't much difference though.

I'm not a beer judge, nor know subtleties in beers.

Again, very smooth. Not bitter or a bite to it at all (I dislike IPAs). It really seems like a smoother Miller or Corona type beer, just not quite as clear. Very easy drinking. I think I like the Kolsch a bit better at this point. I'll try them side-by-side later. Have to get some more in the fridge.

My wife and daughter drink Stella, Corona and similar. My wife tried a taste and said it was very good. I'm sure my daughter will also.

Thanks for this great recipe.
Awesome, thanks for your thoughts. Interesting that they don't seem *too" different. I brewed this so long ago, then ended up adjusting the grain bill to reduce corn flavor, that I don't even remember what the original tasted like. I also suspect I didn't give it enough time for the corn to mellow out when I first brewed it.

Anyway, ingredients for a 10g batch headed my way, gonna do BM's original recipe, looking forward to brewing again!

View attachment 577971

View attachment 577972

View attachment 577973

Care to post how you made your fruit tinctures? seems like it would be a nice way to not have to wait for this beer to finish on fruit.

@Calaeb
You just add your fruit to a mason jar, add grain alcohol, put in a dark place (cabinet) and agitate daily. Some fruits (or herbs) take longer than others to release their goods. From there (sometimes weeks) you can just strain off the flavored alcohol and pour into the beer. Using tincture is a common practice because you avoid all the fruit trub, the added fermentation, and you're sanitizing the fruit during the process as well.

Awesome, thanks for your thoughts. Interesting that they don't seem *too" different. I brewed this so long ago, then ended up adjusting the grain bill to reduce corn flavor, that I don't even remember what the original tasted like. I also suspect I didn't give it enough time for the corn to mellow out when I first brewed it.

Anyway, ingredients for a 10g batch headed my way, gonna do BM's original recipe, looking forward to brewing again!
My wife likes the Kolsch yeast better. I think I do as well. After tasting them side-by-side a few times, Kolsch wins out.

I wish there was a "search this thread" option on this website....
I've only made this recipe just last month, and it turned out great - and I am probably putting the cart before the horse.....but
Has anyone tried this recipe but added honey to it?
Or dropped down the corn percentage and upped the rice?
Or other variations?

I wish there was a "search this thread" option on this website....
I've only made this recipe just last month, and it turned out great - and I am probably putting the cart before the horse.....but
Has anyone tried this recipe but added honey to it?
Or dropped down the corn percentage and upped the rice?
Or other variations?

There is the "Search this thread only" option in the search box??

Strange color. Used the original version in post 1. Any ideas here?

Attachments

• 163D4730-B7EB-4343-93F1-118F43079F3D.jpeg
    163D4730-B7EB-4343-93F1-118F43079F3D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 169
  • 1EA61040-8C05-425F-83E8-7EC63E386CA4.jpeg
    1EA61040-8C05-425F-83E8-7EC63E386CA4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 167
It was all good till it we used a chiller. It looked very normal. About 10 min of cycling through the chiller it came out like this. There was a strange protean binding going on but never brewed with corn or rice so wasn’t sure want that was. It smells and tastes fine. The gravity is good also. Will let it go and see what happens.

I actually made a beer again. This was my first batch in my new Robobrew. I made this beer years ago for a birthday party. I'm making it again for my 40th!

After mash, the wort was so clear I could see through it. Hit 1.038 before boil, so I think I did ok.

Thanks for the awesome recipe!
IMG_20180811_131806.jpeg
IMG_20180811_144009.jpeg

Brewed this up a month ago, just went into the keg last night. Ended up with just a tiny hint of char. My wife thought it reminded her of a pepper ale. Mash temp was a little too low and had to heat it up. Likely happened there. Was thinking about hitting it with a bit of habanero pepper tincture. Anybody with other thoughts?

I’m brewing this tonight. About to go to the store. Probably been answered but don’t have time to sort thru 92 pages. On the minute rice, does it matter if it’s brown rice or white rice? And I just dump it in with the rest of my grains when I start my mash?

Back