Cream Ale Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Ramone

Reaction score
First time doing a cream ale (Brewers Best). Anything special that i need to be aware of?:confused:

Nothing special until you try to make a creamy beer with all grain.... Till then just follow the instructions that came with the kit:)

Joey Ramone said:
First time doing a cream ale (Brewers Best). Anything special that i need to be aware of?:confused:

Nothing too special. What yeast are you using? Cream ales are in the "Light Hybrid" category for a reason. They are somewhere in between an ale and a lager and as such tend to use yeasts that ferment at slightly lower than standard ale temperatures. The corn syrup in the recipe is like the corn or rice adjuncts you'd find in a standard lager. It will provide a crisp finish without adding body.

Jamil recommends White Labs WLP001 or Wyeast 1056, both clean, dry finishing yeasts. I had great success with Wyeast 2565 Kölsch yeast, which ferments easily at cooler temperatures and adds a little more interesting flavor notes. Whatever yeast came with the kit should be fine, but I'd ferment at 65°F or even a little lower, if possible. That'll keep your cream ale nice and clean.

Edited to add: Jamil Show, 12/18/06 -- Cream Ale. Very good resource for understanding the style.

Chad

The only thing I experienced with my cream ale is it took atleast 4 weeks to carbonate before it actually tasted ok...After 3 weeks I was quite disappointed with it but now I can't stop myself from drinking it.

Back