Crazy fermentation cycle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keiff

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have 3 batches of extract brew under my belt and the fermentation cycle has always been pretty-much the same. Using dried yeast, I'll get activity after about 8-10 hours after the pitch, which gets pretty vigorous for about 3 days. After about 7-8 days, it starts to taper off and start taking hydro readings. It usually gets racked to a secondary by day 11-13.

I recently brewed a partial grain porter and fermentation seemed to be going as normal. I had a healthy froth by day 2, a good krausen formed and started to recede by day 5 and gas expulsion began to slow to a bubble every minute (glass carboys). Today, I get home and it is bubbling like crazy. A new, dense foam has risen again. It's almost like a new fermentation has started.

Is this typical for a partial grain batch (my first)? The OG on it was 1.064 and I haven't taken another reading since. I figured I would wait until things slowed down. This is the first time I've added malto-dextrin, but was under the impression that it doesn't typically yield more than 20% fermentables. Has anyone else seen such a drastic 180° fermentation? I'm really anal about sterilization but worry a tad that I may have gotten a bug or something.

I appreciate any input offered.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back