Crazy bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
So I was thinking about a little bottling experiment for no apparent reason tonight... Has anyone bottled right from the primary?

I was thinking about adding my priming sugar to the full carboy, attaching a bottling wand and using the autosiphon to bottle directly from the carboy.

I know I could just get a ported better bottle, but I'm thinking about trying this on my next batch... thoughts?

I would recommend you reconsider...:D

You shouldn't rack to a secondary until the brew has reached it's FG.

The purpose of racking to a secondary is for the brew to clear (the yeast drops out) and age a little (so you don't bottle green beer).

Some people never do a secondary. I always do one even with a Hefe Weizen. The reasoning I use is the purpose of a secondary in the first place. With a HW I can add some yeast back into the brew, just enough to get it cloudy again, but not too much that I'll have a lot of it in the bottle. ;)

There is a lot of trub in the primary so you couldn't mix the priming sugar in with the wort without major sediment problems. I wouldn't trust just pouring it into the wort and mixing thoroughly.

You can also bottle from a keg, but it is difficult to do the opposite. You can use your kegs as secondaries as well.

Wait...you prime one bottle at a time? Bottling is already tedious enough. Get yourself a bottling bucket. Very much worth it.

Cooper's carbonation drops. Problem solved. No point in risking contamination or aeration unless the beer truly requires a secondary.

i use a bottling bucket now it is much easier but i use less than an oz of sugar for the whole batch. next batch i don't think i will use any sugar just to see what happens

Back