Covering your fermenter with a garbage bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrow

Reaction score
So I was thinking... I don't predict an explosion with my beer, as I have fermentation but nothing crazy. However, just to be sure my pantry doesn't get destroyed, can I throw a garbage bag over my fermenter? That way, if by some freak accident it explodes, it will severly diminish the mess I will have to clean up? I don't want to go through the hassle of sanitizing and preparing a blowoff or anything, just want to be a little more safe.

Would that work? Is there some hidden danger I am not aware of?

Relax. If you are using an ale pale with plenty of headspace for a 5 gallon batch you will fine. The brewers best kit shouldn't go crazy on you.

Haha I know, I know. Should be fine. I just don't want some freak accident to happen and have the SWMBO tearing me a new one.

The bag won't hurt anything. In the future, I recommend Fermcap-S.

The only thing I would question would be if there is enough pressure to blow the lid off is a plastic garbage bag really going to stop anything? Don't know I'm knew myself.

Sterilizing a blowoff tube takes about 30 seconds and you probably don't need it but if you do you're golden.
worst case... 30 seconds wasted

If you use the garbage bag and need it, it will be messier and increase your chances for infection. (though not much) But it will be less messy than no bag, but more messy than a blowoff tube.

worst cast, spoiled beer and a sticky but contained cleanup.

Best case... 30 seconds saved.

I'd use a blowoff (I always do)

Regards

Ok, ok. I just don't want to risk any contamination while switching the airlock to a blowoff. I am just lazy I guess. I didn't start or prime my yeast either.

I've brewed a few Brewer's Best kits and I always just tossed the yeast in without proofing or rehydrating. Those kits are pretty reliable if fresh.

It takes more to ruin a batch than quickly switching sanitized airlocks/blowoffs. I've left mine sit with nothing in the bung for minutes at a time with nothing ever happening. Hell, you can even open ferment your beer, no airlock, no nothing covering your wort.

Don't worry about it, sanitize the hose, switch it with the airlock, call it good.

Well...
Why dont you check out my thread, i do that all the time:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/primary-bucket-quebec-style-100428/

Around where i live, this is THE way to do it.

And i dont understand why people dont see how clever that method is, never caught any infections in 2 years from brewing, (of course im just one of the people that do it all the time).
Say goodbye to stupid blow offs.

I use a black garbage bag over both my primary and secondary, just to keep unwanted light out and maybe a little buffer of a temp change when the door opens to the fermentation room.

Well...
Why dont you check out my thread, i do that all the time:
I think the OP was meaning more along the lines of chucking a bag over an already sealed fermenter... But that link was a really good way for me to use about 20 mins reading all about it, so glad you did!

From what I've read (keeping in mind I'm a grade A n00b at this) there shouldn't be any issues with switching out the airlock. Hell, mine blew out a couple of times when I was part way through my first brew and I took the airlock off, sanitised and put it back on, so switching out straight away should be fine. Though again, can't say for sure as my first brew is still bottling - one week to go! Can't wait! But I did taste it before bottling and it tasted like nice, albeit flat beer. :)

I do however have the 30 bottles that are conditioning at the moment in 2 bin bags, you know, just in case... :)

No bugs live in Canada it's too cold.;)

*LMAO*
Must be that! :)

Here is another pic of the same type of setup on the first 3-4 days when the initial fermentation really kicks off, you can see how much pressure it builds even with some light weight objects sitting on top of it, still, blow off free. :mug:

beer2.jpg

Back