Couple questions on aerating & starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt a Belgian Tripel next, which will be my first high-gravity beer.

1) I know I should prepare a yeast starter for it, but I've never done one. I've seen the links to sites that tell you how to make one, but what is the point of them? If the yeast are going to reproduce, won't they reproduce to the same level at some point even if I don't make a starter? I know all the issues with contamination and giving the yeast a head-start, but am I likely to get better attenuation if I make a starter?

2) How much aerating do you do (those of you who just shake it)? I tend to just put the lid on the plastic primary fermenter and shake the heck out of it for 30 seconds or so. How much more time is needed, if any? Should I open up the lid a couple times as I'm aerating to allow more oxygen in?

I don't want to get a stuck fermentation on this one, so I really need to get the pitching bit correct.

If you don't make a starter, you're risking contamination because of the lag time. Your also going to increase the level of esters and diacetyl which can cause off flavors.

Basically, you want to grow a nice big army before sending them off to war.

Shaking is fine, but I think I'd do it for more than 30 seconds. Are you doing a partial boil? If so, you've already got most of the oxygen you need unless you're boiling your top off water

Yes, I am doing partial boils. My top-off water is just gallon jugs (frozen).

Ok, so a starter is a good idea in any case. Thanks!

Back