Counterflow chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djb467

Reaction score
I'm considering building a counterflow chiller using some of the online designs I've seen. My question is, do I really need a hot water/ all rubber garden hose? It seems to me, with the speed of the temperature drop, as long as I don't run wort through the copper line without the counterflow water running, the hose will never get that hot. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Many people just use the cheap garden hoses and are perfectly happy with them.
I chose to get the rubber hose just based on the premise that I pump through it near the end of my boil to sanitize it and I don't have the cold water running. I didn't want to chance melting a cheap hose.

This. Although it added a significant cost to the project, I'm happy that I went with a hot water rated rubber hose.

krazydave said:
Many people just use the cheap garden hoses and are perfectly happy with them.
I chose to get the rubber hose just based on the premise that I pump through it near the end of my boil to sanitize it and I don't have the cold water running. I didn't want to chance melting a cheap hose.

Buy a good hose, I have a heavy duty Goodyear hose and it's great. It's all what you want out of it, I rather spend the extra money up front then having to fix it later

Thanks for the feedback! Now, how about length? I've seen chillers built with 20, 30 and 50 foot lengths. I'd like to use 20 feet of copper. I'm on a well, so the water gets pretty cold. Will 20 be enough?

20' should work, 25' better. However going 30 or more I've read becomes a waste. I could only find 20' lengths of copper at the big box stores, so I bough 50' instead, made two 25' CFC's and sold one.
Also, the 50' rubber hose wasn't much more than a 25' when I was buying it. Weird how prices work out like that sometimes.

Same as with Dave, I could only find 20' lengths, however I wasn't as motivated as him to buy 50'! I do have the remaining house and copper fittings, that I should buy another 20' section and make another to sell.

I ended up with a 20' CFC, and am able to convert the wort from 212 degrees to between 68-72.

Yeah, that was my issue as well, finding copper in the right lengths.
Ok, next question, since the wort comes out of the brew pot immediately after boil, does anyone change their hop schedule? I'm concerned that if I add hops at flame out the wort won't get enough infusion time.

Back