Corny Kegs - Rubber Top or No Rubber Top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amt0803

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging. Should I get the 5 gallon kegs with the rubber handles on top or the ones without the rubber on top?

Handles are probably make things easier, but I've read people complain about the rubber falling apart or leaving black marks on your hands. I don't know how common that is. What pros and cons do you think are important to consider?

W/ rubber:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...ock-soda-keg-dual-rubber-handle-5-gallon.html

W/o rubber:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/kegging/soda-kegs-fittings/ball-lock-soda-keg-5-gal.html

Thanks.

I've got 3 with rubber and no problems, 4 with rubber that make a mess, and 2 without rubber.

I'd trade all my rubber handled kegs for more without. Once you get that stuff all over your hands, clothes, and floor, you'll wish it weren't there. All it takes is one bad one.

On the older kegs you do get black marks sometimes, especially when I'm cleaning them up with PBW, that stuff tends to come off a bit. However, I much prefer the rubber tops to the steel tops. I just find them easier to manipulate when I'm moving stuff around.

I don't have a problem with the black stuff getting "all over". I get some occasional black stuff which washes right off of whatever surface it gets on.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else want to chime in? We have a split jury here.

Well it appears that the only one "FOR" is because of ease of handling.. but admits it can still cause marks (especially older ones).

I have them (red and black rubber) and they do leave marks, leave residue, and are a pain.

I use them as last resort.

If given a choice, definitely go without.

If it's a matter of cost, and saving a few $$, and the rubbers ones are more inline with budgetary restraints, and you are willing to deal with the possibility of black crud, then there's your answer.

Only worked with rubber ends.... seems a bit of a trivial complaint.

I think most of get far bigger messes from boil overs or burst bottles!
Who cares about a dirty hand after that!

In 5 gallon kegs I like the rubber top handles, the two handles are nice for an older guy like me when handling them.
Also, I can drain a cleaned keg easier with it standing upside down on it's handles.

But for my 3 and 2 1/2 gallon kegs I like the single handle kegs better.

Knock on wood... my rubber handles are not making things black.:)

I have no real preference either way. However, for five gallon kegs, I think rubber on the bottom is very important. I lower the things into a freezer and they get pretty banged around. I have a couple of 2.5 gallon kegs with no rubber on the top or bottom. They are small enough that I can manipulate them. However, a larger keg would end getting dented on the bottom over time, as well as slowly bash my keezer apart!

Back