Corny keg shortage / future of kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goswell

Reaction score
With all the talk about Corny kegs no longer being made, has anybody had any difficulty in getting the kegs? Does anybody have any insight into the future of homebrew kegging? Will there be an alternative or will we eventually not be able to get supplies for existing kegs and they will be rendered useless?

I'm considering getting a kegging setup but not if I won't be able to enjoy if for long.

I wasn't aware that corny kegs are no longer being made. You can still buy new corny kegs at most online homebrew stores, so I don't think this is the case. And my understanding is that there are still a ton of used kegs are the market from when the soda industry switched over to the bag system. I think there is a good chance your new kegging setup will die of old age before it becomes obsolete. I wouldn't worry about it.

There are people exiting the hobby all the time. They may become harder to find or more expensive, but they'll still be around. (like people have said, new ones are being made; I just don't want to pay how much they're going for :))

New ones are still being built; however not in the US to my knowledge. But then who knows... I know at least two Pepsi bottlers who are still using cornies and not cardboard boxes. I highly doubt there will be a shortage in the next 7-10 years. IMO not even in 15. I'm sure someone smart knows more and makes sure you are panicing and buying a bunch right now :D

New ones are still being built; however not in the US to my knowledge. But then who knows... I know at least two Pepsi bottlers who are still using cornies and not cardboard boxes. I highly doubt there will be a shortage in the next 7-10 years. IMO not even in 15. I'm sure someone smart knows more and makes sure you are panicing and buying a bunch right now :D

When I was in central Washington state last summer, a pepsi delivery truck was at a bar that I was shooting pool in. He brought in a TON of corny kegs. I stopped him and asked him if there was pepsi in 'em and he looked at me like I was retarded and said yes.

So yeah, I've seen it with my own two eyes. They're still in use in at least a few places.

they still use them for temporary service such as fairs and carnivals.I was at the Houston live stock show and rodeo last week and saw 18 wheelers full of cornies being unloader with fork lifts stacking pallet after pallet of full cornies to be used around the rodeo grounds.

Back