corny keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungrymonkey

Reaction score
I picked up two corny kegs last week. One has the smaller in/out connectors and one has larger in/out connectors.

I was sanitizing the kegs with the hopes of filling them with my current batches. I took it apart, then cleaned it and put it back together. But now I have a leak on the out side.

I started looking at the keg and noticed the fill tube hits the bottom of the keg. I believe that it is preventing it from being tightened down completely and causing the leak.

I put it back together the way I found it, none of the links in the kegging faq showed this type of keg. The dip tube seats differently in the other keg. The smaller connector keg has the dip tube feeding through the outside of the keg, into the inside.

this keg has the dip tube sandwhiched between the bulkhead couplings.

What am I working with, and how do I put it back together?

DSCN2604.jpg

DSCN2602.jpg

DSCN2600.jpg

IN side.

DSCN2603.jpg

DSCN2601.jpg

Usually the tubes have a bend in them keeping them off the bottom a little. Some of them allow the tube to turn as you tighten the post. Stick your hand in the keg and hold the tube in the direction where it fits down all the way and tighten the post down while holding it.

No bend in the tube. I am thinking about cutting a half inch off of the tube, so it sits off the sediment.

I am starting to think that the keg was put together with parts from other kegs. At $15 a keg, it does not bother me to much.

Also, one is pepsi the other is coke. Both a ball locks.

Don't bother cutting just bend it, it's easier, I bend all mine a little more so they are up a little more so if there is any sediment it won't pick it up.

you should bend it a little. i let mine almost touch the bottom, so they will siphon off the sediment. i pour off the first pint or so. getting the finished product off the sludge (or the sludge out of the keg) is kind of like getting your fermenting beer off the yeast after a while

Not really on topic, but....I would LOVE to know where to get fittings like that!! This would be a great solution to fix stripped corny posts. I have two cornies with stripped posts and use them as fermenters. If I had a dip tube like that I could drill out the old post.

OMG...that style of keg manufacture is ancient. No replacement parts "off the shelf" available that we know of. You will have to make/find gaskets and seals.
Our experience is that those types are more trouble than they are worth.

Matt

Back