Corny keg leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duttonjc

Reaction score
My corny keg is leaking from around the lid. I changed the rubber gasket and have tried moving the lid around. What next

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Crank up the pressure to 40psi to get the lid to seat then drop your pressure back down. I have a few kegs that won't seal unless I do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've heard you can buy oversized (thicker) O-rings for your lid. It may be the opening of your keg is slightly damaged and a thicker O-ring should help.

+1 on the keg lube 3 bucks for a little container that will last you a while. Helps seal all gaskets.

Yeah if your lid is well used sometimes the little "legs" on the locking mechanism don't pull up as tight as they used to. I've seen some use pennies under the legs to increase pressure on the lid seal. Could always try that as a quick fix.

Sent from somewhere to someone

I learned recently that Home Depot and Lowes sells a similar product in the plumbing aisle. It was posted here a few weeks ago.

It's a 100% silicone "waterproof grease". I have some with my plumbing stuff and it seems to be the same as my jar of keg lube. If a person is kegging, it's a must-have.

When sealing a keg, sometimes you've got to hit it with 25-30 psi to get the lid o-ring to properly seat.

Another thing to check is that it's actually leaking around the edges of the lid and not your PRV that's leaking. You might try snugging up your PRV to make sure it's not that.

Also try spinning the lid 180 degrees. May sound stupid but my kegs only seal with the lid on one way, if its on the other way it will not seal no matter how much grease or psi I put on to it.

Another thing to check is that it's actually leaking around the edges of the lid and not your PRV that's leaking. You might try snugging up your PRV to make sure it's not that.

Good point. I had that happen once and now always spray StarSan around the PRV when I'm checking the lid for leaks.

Back