Corny keg disconnect coming apart (ball lock)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outside92129

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else have issues with their ball lock corny keg disconnect coming apart? For me it's always the black/beer out disconnect, never the C02, and either the spring shoots out of the top or the ball-locking sleeve mechanism comes off. It never appears to be broken, i can re-assemble, but it's a pain at night/dinner/party, etc. They're all 1-3 years old, from various companies (CMB, etc). Not sure if i'm doing something wrong or if it's the disconnect.

Hmmm, I've never had that happen and some of mine are 10 years old. Did you buy them all around the same time? If so, could have been part of a bad batch. I remember I once got one that was molded wrong...as in grey gas molded as black liquid, or vice versa...I can't remember for sure. I just remember it wouldn't fit on the post it was supposed to go on. Anyway, have you taken them apart to clean? It's a stretch, but any chance you didn't put them back together right?

I've had one bad QD in 5 years of brewing. The one that went bad gave me a complete beer shower when I went to use it. I just tossed it.

I keep a few extra laying around just in case I need them.

Maybe you've got really badly manufactured / cheap Chinese knock-offs?

On all the CMB ones, it's about impossible to get the locking sleeve off. And how can the spring shoot out the top? There's a threaded insert in the top that needs to be unscrewed a couple turns before you get to the inside and the spring. Very curious how these things happen "all the time."

On all the CMB ones, it's about impossible to get the locking sleeve off. And how can the spring shoot out the top? There's a threaded insert in the top that needs to be unscrewed a couple turns before you get to the inside and the spring. Very curious how these things happen "all the time."

My thoughts exactly so to answer your question no, in 8 yrs of kegging I've never experienced what you're describing. I did once get a couple gas disconnects that seemed to be knockoffs - not the CMB gray ones, they were pure white with different consistency of the plastic. They leaked around the post so I sent them back. But the sleeve actually coming off?? Or the spring shooting out - how does that happen unless the top is not screwed down?

definitely throw it away, and get another one. I have dozens of sets of ball lock and pin lock, and have not had a problem like that in my 10 years of brewing with using all of these disconnects.

Back