Corny as primary and serving keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian_hh

Reaction score
I was wondering, could I simply ferment in a corny keg, dump/store trub in a mason jar,, then serve from that same corny keg? Autolysis wouldn't be an issue since all the dead yeast would be out of the keg, has anyone tried that?

How are you planning to dump the whole yeast cake? I can tell you from experience a diptube that is significantly buried in trub/cake is going to clog.

I've never had an issue with diptubes clogging from trub, but there is no way you're going to be able to dump the whole yeast cake through the diptube. If you start dispensing from a fermenting keg, it may eventually run clear(ish), but there will still be a lot of gunk in there--you wouldn't be able to move the keg or even jostle it slightly without stirring up a bunch of stuff.

I ferment 3.5 gallon batches all the time in Kegs (w/AirLock) and 4g with a Spunding valve. Just get another Keg and pressure transfer to it for serving. I cut 1.5" off the end of the Dip Tube for fermenting, and have a few extra Dip tubes to swap between serving kegs and fermenting Kegs.

New Kegs On sale at AIH!

Latest posts

Back