CornSugar vs. Drymalt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneTree

Reaction score
What is best and why? My 1st ever batch was a Porter Extract bottled with corn sugar.
My second batch just last night was a dark ale bottled with DME.
Your ideas and this site is the best.:mug:

My opinion: For bottling, corn sugar is fine. You use 5 ounces for a five gallon batch - not enough to make a difference in flavor. I would not do a larger substitution in the fermenting stage but just to carbonate, corn sugar is acceptable.

I use corn sugar, almost always. I've used DME twice, and did not notice any difference at all in the results.

And corn sugar is cheaper.

cane sugar( table sugar) also works fine and is even cheaper than corn sugar. You just use a little less because it is more fermentable.

I'm going to bottle my next pale ale with table sugar because it's cheaper, easier to work with and I won't have to use as much. I haven't been able to find the recommended amount but I normally use 5 oz. of dextrose to prime so I think 4 oz. of table sugar should be sufficient.

Latest posts

Back