Cornelius Keg Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris W

Reaction score
I think I already know the answer...BUT, I'll ask nonetheless.

I have a cornelius keg that sprung a pin-hole leak at the bottom, just off center. Is there anyway to seal this or is it trash at this point? :(

I can't realy see any imperfection when I look into keg. However, under pressure, I see the leak through the rubber base on the keg.

I will clean out the keg and look again when I get home.

Like I said, can’t really see any defects. Again, it’s a pinhole, not a big hole.
IMG_1519783222.508239.jpg

You'd have to find the hole to fix it, then hope there aren't others. And fixing it from the inside would be a huge challenge.
But it's pretty much useless as is, so it could be worth trying to find the leak from the outside.

Put the keg back together, put some gas pressure on it, flip it over and use some leak detector fluid to find where the gas is escaping from under the rubber, then start carving the rubber away to follow the trail, which hopefully is straight to the leak.

If you can find the leak, you can silver solder it from the outside rather easily...

Cheers!

Back