Cork or Screw Tops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzy3005

Reaction score
Hi all. My first batch of vino collapso is nearly ready and I have loads of bottles to stick it into.
Most bottles nowadays seem to be screw top. I have the tops for all my bottles, so the question is, do you think either is better than the other or should I not even consider screw lids? Thanks.

I tried using screw tops before I bought my corker and they turned to vinegar. Luckily it was only a small batch. I guess if you want to use screw caps you have to buy new ones. Your old ones are hard to clean and are high risque for contamination. Don't risk your wine.

That was a concern of mine. So then, am I best using cork corks or the plastic ones?

I always pay the couple extra dollars for real cork. Real cork provides an unbeatable seal.

I ended up purchasing a floor corker, and now cork my wine and some of my heavily carbed beer with it.

I'm not sold on that, I have 2-3 year old bottles of mead stopped up with nomacorks and they're fine. Like nomacork because it doesn't dry out.

Well some research tends to think that there are a possibility that the synthetic corks doesn't block as good, others say theres a possibility that chemicals in the synthetic corks might get into the wine. Overall there juste that suppositions. Like a lot of companies suggests, synthetic corks are the best option if you want to keep it bottled for up to 3 years but if you want to go beyond that time, best go for real corks. Synthetics coo, still be just as good beyond that, but we just don't know if the wine could get more oxidized beyond that point.

There used to be such suppositions about the the caps, but when it was known that the caps kept it just as good then the corks, a lot of company changed from corks to caps. Which is why you see so many caps now a days.

Well some research tends to think that there are a possibility that the synthetic corks doesn't block as good, others say theres a possibility that chemicals in the synthetic corks might get into the wine. Overall there juste that suppositions. Like a lot of companies suggests, synthetic corks are the best option if you want to keep it bottled for up to 3 years but if you want to go beyond that time, best go for real corks. Synthetics coo, still be just as good beyond that, but we just don't know if the wine could get more oxidized beyond that point.

There used to be such suppositions about the the caps, but when it was known that the caps kept it just as good then the corks, a lot of company changed from corks to caps. Which is why you see so many caps now a days.

Do you have a source for those corks for long term storage? Are they pricey? I'm using the "agglo" type corks made from chips that are rated for 2 years, because they're cheap.

and to the OP I agree with the posts above that corks are the way to go. That said, I have re-used screw tops on occasion with success. You should only use the top that came with the particular bottle. Don't mix brands. You also have to remove the plastic liner from the cap (carefully without damaging it!) and give the cap and the liner a good soak in K-meta. Bad things grow under the liner.

Hi all. My first batch of vino collapso is nearly ready and I have loads of bottles to stick it into.
Most bottles nowadays seem to be screw top. I have the tops for all my bottles, so the question is, do you think either is better than the other or should I not even consider screw lids? Thanks.

I work for a commerical wine company that produces and imports tens of millions of bottles per year. The industry has done extensive research on the topic. Modern corks, screwcap, and synthetics are basically equal in terms of quality effects on the wine. Consumers tend to prefer corks on higher-end wines but that is more of a preference than anything these days. You have vastly lower risk of TCA ("Corked wine") on synthetics and screwtops. If you use real corks, avoid chlorine anywhere in your process to reduce TCA risk.

The industry in New Zealand is entirely cork-free, at all price points, for what its worth.

We have some wines we produce in both cork and screw-top versions. Hotels prefer screw-tops for mini bars. Most of our production is in corks.

An interesting tidbit: The biggest threat to the cork farms (most of which are in Portugal) isn't depletion due to overharvesting, but competition from synthetics and screw closures.

I'm on HBT for the beer, but if I was making wine at home, I'd probably put corks and capsules on the stuff I give away and use screwtops for personal consumption.

Latest posts

Back