coriander problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celts

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm trying my first spices in a beer. I'm using coriander. I misread a recipe calling for coriander and added it while steeping instead of at 5min. How big of a problem will this cause if at all? Can it be corrected by adding at 5min (thinking the aroma and flavor will be destroyed)?

IU don't think it will be a huge problem, some of the aromatics will be driven off, but in terms of flavor, it shouldn't make a huge difference.

FWIW, make certain you are using Indian corriander, it has much more of the citrusy aroma/flavor that you want from corriander, store bought corriander has a vegetal/hot dog flavor.

I bought a 1lb bag of corriander at our local Indian market for ~$1. Was sooo much better than store bought, I will never use stoer bought corriander again. Come to think of it I probably never will with the amount I purchased at the market.

Any how RDWHAHB, learn from you errors, you will still have good beer, but in the future make sure you wait for the 5 minute mark, and make certain you use Indian corriander.:)

Cheers!

IU don't think it will be a huge problem, some of the aromatics will be driven off, but in terms of flavor, it shouldn't make a huge difference.

FWIW, make certain you are using Indian corriander, it has much more of the citrusy aroma/flavor that you want from corriander, store bought corriander has a vegetal/hot dog flavor.

I bought a 1lb bag of corriander at our local Indian market for ~$1. Was sooo much better than store bought, I will never use stoer bought corriander again. Come to think of it I probably never will with the amount I purchased at the market.

Any how RDWHAHB, learn from you errors, you will still have good beer, but in the future make sure you wait for the 5 minute mark, and make certain you use Indian corriander.:)

Cheers!

It's recommended that you change your Indian spices at least every two years, as they lose their oils over time and hence lose their flavour and aroma.
I have a good curry spice rack and I've given up on buying the really big bags due to the amounts I use, I was throwing out too much at the two year point.

I bought a 1lb bag of corriander at our local Indian market for ~$1. Was sooo much better than store bought, I will never use stoer bought corriander again.

So is every other spice. You (the royal you:)) don't know what you're missing if you don't buy all your cooking spices at an international market rather than the grocery store. Well except for dollars. 2 oz. of McCormick is the same price as 2 lb bag at an indian market.

The larger lighter color (better) coriander is Indian and the smaller dark ones are Moroccan, I believe.

... and make certain you use Indian corriander.:)

Cheers!

+1500 on that! I hadn't heard it put having a "hot dog" flavor but that is exact in my book! Funky... hot dog flavored beer... yup, that's it. LOL

It's recommended that you change your Indian spices at least every two years, as they lose their oils over time and hence lose their flavour and aroma.
I have a good curry spice rack and I've given up on buying the really big bags due to the amounts I use, I was throwing out too much at the two year point.

When it comes to Coriander, though, if you can get it unground, and grind it yourself when it comes time to use it though, and keep the unground coriander in an air-tight container, it will last... well... years. The essential oils are only really released when the spices are ground. You can get an electric spice grinder for cheap, or go really old-school, and get yourself a mortar and pestle.

I vacuum seal mine in mason jars, so I'll assume the life span might be a little longer, but yes I agree that changing spices within a year or two is a good practice. To add, keep them in a dark place, do not leave your spices exposed to light.

So is every other spice. You (the royal you:)) don't know what you're missing if you don't buy all your cooking spices at an international market rather than the grocery store. Well except for dollars. 2 oz. of McCormick is the same price as 2 lb bag at an indian market.

The larger lighter color (better) coriander is Indian and the smaller dark ones are Moroccan, I believe.

I agree, I don't make too many spice beers, but I now buy most of my spices at at international markets, or our local hippie organic store. We have a great place here called Sunflower Market, I don't know if they are national, but they have good spices too.

You are on the money for the amount and price as well, I bought the smallest bag they had which like I said was a pound our so, and it was absolutely more than I needed, however, the cost for that 1 lb bag was the same as you'd get a couple of ounces at the grocery store.

I bottle prime my wheat beer with corriander infused triple sec. You get a great corriander taste plus the orange from the triple sec and it primes all at the same time. If you don't want to mess around with triple sec you could always infuse some vodka and dump it in the secondary or your bottling bucket.

+1 on the FoodSaver and spices. I like to buy a years worth of spices at an Indian market and vac-seal them.

-1 on the lasting for years (more than 1). Even vacuum sealing doesn't make them last for years. I certainly have tried that. My dishes end up tasting like.... well... ... nuf said. Not bad but just not there really.\

All oils have an expiration date (as measured in the little lab in my brain).

So, when using coriander in beer, is it necessary to grind it? Of can you just add the seeds?

Yeah, definitely need to grind it up. If you don't have a clean coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle, just put some in a ziploc bag and run a rolling pin or can of soup over them until they are all broken up well. Without crushing them you can't release those tasty oils you're looking for.

I just put them in a bowl and crack them with the back of a spoon for the 1 recipe I brew with them. They get tossed in the last 15 minutes of the boil. No need to grind.

I should have read this thread before I did my current batch. I used McCormick coriander and my wife (after only 3 weeks in the fermenter) said it was good but kinda tasted like pork. I was obviously aiming for the citrus. Bummer

Back