Coriander and Orange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
I've brewed Belgian Wits before, but not a true Belgian Wit with Coriander and Orange. How much Coriander is necessary for a 5g batch? I'm assuming 4oz. That way the Orange has more pop with the wheat with a soft Coriander undertone.

BTW, according to Hoegaardens site the citrus taste comes from the coriander. They say the Peel more provides the aroma. I never knew that so it was interesting to read. I can confirm its accurate since my white peach wit has no orange and I tasted a sample before adding the white peach puree and it did have the usual citrus/orange in the taste.

Rev.

SittingDuck said:
One ounce of crushed coriander is what goes in my wits.

+1. 1 oz coriander and 2 oz bitter dried orange peel for the last 20 of my boil.

Some guys steep before the boil, some throw em in during the boil, some steep at flameout. Regardless, I throw em in a hop sack.

Can orange peel just be left out to dry? Make a 2 oz pile of it and then spread it out on a plate to air dry? Or does it need to go in the oven to dry?

Corriander comes in several varieties. You can easily find Mexican or Moroccan corriander in the spice aisle at any grocery store. Its typically brown and wrinkled. Another form is the Indian corriander and its more yellowish and smooth.

I find the Mex/Moroc variety more black peppery and the Indian more citrusy. Over the course of almost 10 Witts, I've experimented with both varieties and find that since the sour orange peel provides what I want in the citrusy category, I prefer the additional flavor nuance of the pepperiness that the Mex/Moroc variety creates. There are some commercial Witts that seem to emmulate that pepperiness too.

Your choice. I find that an ounce of either added within 15 minutes of flameout is good.

PS: Do NOT use a regular orange from the grocery store. It really does need to be a SOUR orange peel for best effect. Most homebrew shops sell the Brewers Garden bitter or sour orange peel that is ready to go.

Back