Copper tubing sculpture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plankton

Reaction score
I am in the planning stages of building a 2 tier sculpture. I have seen some on the net with fixed SS tubing making the connections between the kettles. I don't have the tools, cash or skill to do the build in SS.

Here is the question: can I make the connections using flexible 1/2" copper tubing between the kettles? I am very comfortable making connections (compression or sodder) with copper. Also, can I connect copper with SS fittings? I really like the SS QDs.

Thanks in advance.

Silicone tubing would be easier and cheaper than copper

But copper would be so much nicer.

The best way, IMHO, to connect copper and SS is with threaded fittings.

If it was me; I'd use hardened 1/2" tubing, and put in elbows where needed.

Should I be concerned with corrosion between the two different metals being in contact with each other?

Should I be concerned with corrosion between the two different metals being in contact with each other?

I don't think it would be all that bad. Just take it apart and inspect the connections every few brews to be sure

It seems to me that it may be a pain in the rear to conduct inspections that frequently. Maybe I should go back and reconsider the SS tubing option.

Iirc Cu and ss are galvanically close. Might not be a problem. I think soft copper will look junky. In a couple years if not right away.

I plan on doing the same with mine. All hard copper - 1/2." I just learned how to solder it last week. I may still end up using the 1/2" silicon tubing for the connections, but plan to have everything routed and mounted to the stand so that I only need short bits of tubing to connect with. I still need to mount the pump and water filter.

Copper was in use in the brewing industry well before SS. Only issue is the oxidation of the surfaces. PITA to keep clean looking unless it's lacquered.

So, if I have it correct, hard copper pipe with SS fittings is ok to do. My only real concern is the oxidation on the exterior of the copper tubing? What about the interior of the tubing? Will any oxidation on the interior of the tubing impart an off taste?

Is that correct?

The important thing to remember here is not to let the finished beer contact the copper. It is only of use to you on brew day (before fermentation) Other than that, there will be no off flavors or taste. The oxidation outside the copper is only cosmetic. You can polish that off. You'll have to incorporate some sort of cleaning regimen for the inside as well. If you have a pump, that will be easy.

I am in the planning stages of building a 2 tier sculpture. I have seen some on the net with fixed SS tubing making the connections between the kettles. I don't have the tools, cash or skill to do the build in SS.

Here is the question: can I make the connections using flexible 1/2" copper tubing between the kettles? I am very comfortable making connections (compression or sodder) with copper. Also, can I connect copper with SS fittings? I really like the SS QDs.

Thanks in advance.

As home brewer and a plumber I have made and changed alot of my equipment though the years. I would not solder the copper, because can not clean, I would purchase tubing benders (ridgid or imperial) and make all the bends and compression for easy dis-assembly, cleaning and changes later.

I am going to do it. What cleaner should I use?

Anything acidic works well; vinegar, citric acid and water, sulfuric acid, lemon juice, hydrochloric acid; what ever you have laying around. Just make a dilution of what ever you use and fill the pipes with it for 5 to 20 min on brew day. Flush it well with water and use.

oxacilic acid (found in the product Barkeepers Friend which is a scrubbing powder) almost instantly takes the tarnish of copper. vinegar mixed with some table salt for scrubbing power works pretty good as well.

you do not need to flush the insides of the pipes to keep the tarnish off. its just like the oxide layer on aluminum pots (except you need that layer as aluminum is not good to ingest; both raw copper and copper oxide are non-toxic and are even beneficial). copper oxide is actually a fungicide and should mildly prevent things from growing. if you do flush the pipes with vinegar or something, the oxide layer will just build back up as soon as you start brewing so there is really no point to that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(I)_oxide

and i wouldnt worry about galvanic corrosion. copper and steel are close enough on the reactivity scale, and the system would only be full of water for a few hours once in a while. if you were a professional brewer though, and brewed 3 batches a day, every day, on this thing you might want to spend some more on all s.steel.

The acidity of wort will strip oxidation on copper, as proven by the use of a oxidized wort chiller. I try to reduce the copper oxide in my beer with acid cleaning, but as audger said; you can't eliminate it as it forms fast and it doesn't matter much anyway.

Back