Copper tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
Today i bottled my 1st batch using a siphon with a bottle filler (you know the tube with a valve at the end ?) and i didn't like that thing. However i have a bottle spigot but my HBS don't have any plastic tube that fits on my spigot so i taught that i could use a copper tube instead. What do you think ? I think using my spigot would be faster and less messy

I would refrain from putting post-fermented beer in contact with brass or copper. I read an article once about this and it appears that copper lends unpleasant flavors to post-fermented beer. http://www.stainlessone.com/DPS11020-8pgReprint.pdf

Fermentation will actually consume copper ions that make it into the fermenter, like from an immersion chiller, but after fermentation, these copper ions are still present.

Having said that, there is a small amount of fermentation that happens in the bottle, so you still might be ok, but surely you can find some plastic tubing somewhere to fit your spigot? Even the vinyl tubing at Home Depot is fine to use for brewing. That's where I get mine.

Prosit,

yeah but we don't need to use food grade tubes ?

For food service? Yes. For homebrewing? Nah. Vinyl from Home Depot is fine as long as the wort is cool. It could be that the stuff from Home Depot is food grade already, I just don't know. But I wouldn't worry about it. I've been using this stuff for years. Just replace your plastic tubing at regular intervals, maybe once a year depending on how often you brew.

Prosit,

Back