copper manifold question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabew

Reaction score
I just got done building a copper manifold for my cooler, and have a question. I put the copper together and cut some slots, but then I switched to drilling holes, because it seemed like it would take forever to use the hacksaw. My question is this, on the inside of the pipe, there is a bunch of rough surfaces, and little bits of copper hanging on. I know I can probably soak this in oxyclean or pbw to get the dust out, but am I supposed to smooth out the inside somehow? if so how? I am worried that I'll keep getting little copper flakes into my wort.

I'm guessing the next reply will say post a photo..its difficult to visualize exactly what your asking....but what I understand is...I would use the drill bit and wiggle it in wider radius...use a rat tail file...the little gunsmithing ones...or beak out the dremel with a rasp/burr bit...the flakes would really just sink...it would be a sanitation issue more than anything....and that green patina that copper gets sometimes is a salt...and it tastes horrible...

I took a brush you use to clean the inside of copper before soldering, broke the handle, and tied a rope to it and pulled it through the pipe. It got most of the burrs out.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Home Brew Talk

Milldoggy nailed it. I just wrapped sandpaper around a wooden dowel I had and ran it through a few times to take the burs off.

I had a long 1/2 inch drill bit and reamed it out real good with it. Then went back and forth with a file and the bit until it was smooth, took a knife tip to the outside when the bit pushed the shards out.

I guess I'm just lazy....I left the burrs in mine. Little bit of a PITA to clean the grain out sometimes.

Thanks for all the responses, I'll go out and pick up a round file and then finish it off with sandpaper on a dowel.

Back