Copper Conical Fermenter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 4x8 sheet a few years ago was going to use it as my bar top. but have changed ideas. i could think of something else that design would be good for all you would have to do is put a full bottom on it and flip it over add your whort chiller and be set.:rockin: lol

Ok maybe not, just did some digging through the stack of BYOs in my closet, and apparently copper is just about the worst material for a fermenter. Well next time I'll just read a little more before opening my mouth, thanks for the consideration though.

Ok maybe not, just did some digging through the stack of BYOs in my closet, and apparently copper is just about the worst material for a fermenter. Well next time I'll just read a little more before opening my mouth, thanks for the consideration though.

what was the reasoning? In the old day lot's of brewery vessels were copper, and copper is good for yeast. So why?

John

http://oldworlddistributors.com/cart_csp.html

This is where I found copper thats seems to be a little cheaper than other places, but looking at it again this stuff might be a little thin.

The literature I read that talked about copper being bad for fermenting was in the same BYO issue as Lonnie Mac's Brutus Ten plans. The magazine stated that copper was great for the brewing process up to the fermenting step, something about the composition of the wort would break down the copper. I'm at work now and dont have that issue in front of me to quote it but here's a little more info I got from brewingtechniques.com

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue4.5/miller.html

If this doesnt clear it up for you I'll post whats written in BYO tonight when I get home

Here is another copper conical thread I started just three days short of a year ago. I posted the exact same link you did. The comments in that thread may be useful to you.

I decided to buy a Blichmann 14.5 gallon SS conical instead of going the copper DIY route, although I do not doubt that a copper conical could work if the construction were done very carefully. It would almost certainly be more expensive than buying an SS conical.

i actually have a few sheets of copper laying around in my shop that was supposed to be put on a new roof that got destroyed during gustav... don't have any stainless steel tho. copper now is fairly cheap... they're only giving about a dollar a pound at the scrap yards now. i've seen a lot of mixed reviews about using copper for the fermenting process. the link that masshole provided allmost seemed more possitive than negative about the use of copper. the brewery's that i have visited seemed to have all copper equipment. the august schell brewery in new ulm minnessota is the second oldest in america next to ying ling and they're all copper (at least that's what the tour gide said). i could be wrong about the fermenters there, that brewery tour was a long time ago. for what it's worth i did the math for a 7 gallon fermenter.
cylinder: 11.04 in x 37.68 in
cone: 20.78 in x 10.39 in
cover: 11.04 in x 11.04 in
if it is hard felt that i'm going to endanger the lives of people with beer fermented in copper, pleaze speak now so i can use this material for another project. but for now it IS the cheapest way for me to go because it's free

I have to ask here too: What is the real danger of copper poisoning from using copper with fermented wort? It seems kinda low on a homebrewing scale, but what do I know, I'm no chemist.

~M~

I was under the impression that copper, tin and iron in higher quantity can cause hazing in beer.

This site says that over 10mg/L is toxic to yeast, so might be worth while to get some test strips. :)

This page however says that "some investigators have found no repressive effect on the growth of yeast by 15ppm and even up to 30ppm." I don't know who "some investigators" are. Seems like an ask 10 homebrewers, get 12 answers thing.

Back