Coopers Microbrewery kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglysofa

Reaction score
I'm deciding on what path I should take in starting my home brewing. Has anyone used the Coopers Microbrewery Kit? Is it worth while? If not this one then what kit would you suggest?

I've heard that the seal on the lid isn't at good as a real fermenting bucket. Also that the plastic is made of isn't as sturdy or thick as a real fermenting bucket. Also that it smells.

But I don't own one, just going off what I read online. I'd say for the same money minus shipping you could get a similar setup from your local home brew shop and not have to wait for the mail man to drop it off.

The Cooper's kit comes with bottles (albeit plastic) and an ingredient kit for $99 total. From a value standpoint, I suspect a lot depends on whether you don't mind plastic bottles (or don't want to collect glass empties) and like that particular recipe. These would be a dealbreaker for me.

I bought the basic True Brew Equipment kit plus separate recipe kit at my LHBS, and paid more. If i had to do it over, i'd go to Midwest Supply or Northern Brewer or someone else online. Just keep in mind shipping costs, which porbably aren't bad unless you start buying glass bottles or carboys.

ive got the coopers kit, i strickly use the fermenter as a bottling bucket now. IMO you can piece together better quality for cheaper. :D

I just ordered a kit from Midwest Supply. I took a look at the Coopers website and that kit doesn't seem as appealing. The midwest supply kit appears to me to be more serious business whereas the Coopers seems to be a bit more for a once or twice simple brew. You also seem to get more bang for your buck from Midwest Supply. Shipping for me was $35 bucks, but im in the states and I am getting a carboy.

I just ordered a kit from Midwest Supply. I took a look at the Coopers website and that kit doesn't seem as appealing. The midwest supply kit appears to me to be more serious business whereas the Coopers seems to be a bit more for a once or twice simple brew. You also seem to get more bang for your buck from Midwest Supply. Shipping for me was $35 bucks, but im in the states and I am getting a carboy.

I like Midwest, but if I am going to get something large and heavy like a carboy, I am going to take a look at a Homebrewing Supply that has flat rate shipping... like Austin Homebrew Supply who ships for a flat rate of $7.99. Also AHS is owned by a guy named Forrest and he is a member here... here is the link...

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178&osCsid=cbfae64d63e0236b18e51fa76337537b

I bought a Coopers kit to get back into homebrewing after an absence of nearly 20 years. It's "OK" quality-wise. I've made three really great batches of beer with it, but I think the seal on the lid is kaput. My second and third batches did not bubble thru the airlock at all, so I think either the lid seal or the kinda cheap airlock grommet is to blame.

I actually like the plastic bottles--at 740ml there are fewer to fill, and I always hated capping 50 bottles (I'll be going directly to kegging next).

The other folks hit it right--best advice is to go the plastic bucket route. I just bought one from Midwest, and will use the Coopers fermenter to bottle.

The pre-hopped Coopers kits are a really great way to start. My 3 batches have been no-boils....just dump 2 gals of boiling water into the fermenter with the extract, fill to 23L with cold water, pitch the yeast, and you're done. Wife doesn't complain about the "odor" of hops. :)

I actually baught the new and improved coopers micro brewery and it no longer has airlock doesnt.need one and makes better beer than the old one.

I also have the new version.. bought it about a year ago. I love the fermenter. You DON'T need an airlock on it unless you feel all good and cuddly seeing bubbles. As long as the fermenter keeps out dust and air disturbances which will disturb the CO2 layer.. what is the purpose of the air lock. The thickness of the plastic in the fermenter is MORE than adequate, IMO. At least as thick but not as rigid as a plastic bucket. It's nice to have the collar to pull off the gunky trub once the major ferment has taken place. There is also a TON of headspace.. so you will be able to brew as huge a beer as you want without the need for a blowoff tube.

That said, without modifications, I think the recipes suck.. at least the ones I've done. Ingredients are fine.. just not enough to create anything other than about a 3.5%ABV with not a lot of flavor. It needs more DME or LME and some hops for later dry hopping. Again, my opinion... YMMV I'd buy the kit again just for the fermenter. I never use the plastic bottles unless I'm taking brew someplace.. and then, sometimes use regular bottles.

There are a few members here that are better at these kits than I am.

Great fermenter.. 7 gallons in mine now and still a ton of headspace. Never have to open it except when you dump in your wort and then after the beer is in the bottles, keg or bottling bucket, you open it to rinse out the trub..

It is as strong as any other bucket I've used, ?
If I don't scratch the plastic (it wipes clean with a soft cloth or just the sprayer in your sink if you clean it before the trub dries out) It should last me for years.
The interior is as smooth as glass and has no 90 angles or corners, it is rounded and there's no place for gunk to hide.
If you're bored you can watch the yeast races.
Smell ? Maybe like beer!
Cleans up in minutes including a very ingeniously designed spigot.
No blow offs, airlocks or siphons needed.
I don't do a secondary, so if I bottle right from it, I use carbonation tablets or just attach a tube to the spigot and fill the bottling bucket.
Hydrometer is a POS
Plastic bottles...I don't care for them. Get glass in my opinion.
Krausen collar.. I can take it or leave it.. I don't use it and still have no problem cleaning the fermenter walls.

But to each his own.. I've made six batches (all about 7 gallons) with it and have no reason to go back to buckets or the carboys.

All but the first brew have been heavy all grain ales.. The first was what came in the kit.. Good start that teaches you how to work with the fermenter and the beer wasn't terrible..

bosco

Back