Coopers IPA suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SippinSudz

Reaction score
Hey all,

I don't think I've ever had an IPA, maybe an Alexander Keith's many years ago, but mostly enjoy all types of beer.

I'm going with as follows

1 can coopers IPA
1 yeast packet provided
1KG LDME

Top up to 21L

Ferment at 19°C
Bottle after hydrometer readings.

Should I do 1.5KG LDME?
Or maybe 1KG, +300-500g dextrose?

Or leave at 1KG

I'm looking for a decent beer, 4.00 5.5% ABV is great.

Thanks for any input.

LDME is Dry Malt Extract?
Bumping the DME up to 1.5 kilos would push the ABV from 3.5% to 4.35%.
Using plain sugar, of the same weight would also give you the same ABV, but would thin the mouth feel and result in a drier beer. Probably not to tasty for an IPA. Bumping up the ABV would also reduce flavors, especially the hops and caramel flavor.
Is this a no boil kit with prehopped LME?
Caramel flavor could be added by steeping caramel 60. Difficult to estimate how much with out tasting the original recipe for its balance.

I would brew this as is. You might not want to change it just for a little higher ABV.
Added.
You could also brew it as is, but as 19 liter total volume in the fermentor.

Last edited:
Light dry malt Extract, sorry it looks like liquid dry malt extract lol.

Yes Gold DME.

I will be priming bottles, so a finished product of 4% is fine by me.

I have 1kg DME on hand, and can pick up more locally for cheap.

This is a pre hopped extract kit yes. I am still rather new and haven't experimented with hopping yet other than adding my own vanilla to a stout kit if you can call that hopping.

I will make this kit as is. 1.5kg DME, and no dextrose. I'll mark my journal and go from there. Tweaking future recipes.

Back