Coopers Carbonation Drops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_Savage

Reaction score
I always see these on the shelf at my local HBS. I assume they are used for priming. I peeked at the package once, and it said to use 1 drop for a 12 oz bottle. Anybody use these? Are they worth the extra money? It seems to me thses might not be too sanitary. Just looks like a package of candy to me. But wadda I know?

I've never tried priming the bottles, I've always siphoned the beer into the bottling bucket, added boiled corn sugar, and bottled. Some of my friends who have always kegged were surprised that I got consistant carbonation with bottles. Once I explained my technique, they understood.

I have never used Coopers, but I do use those corn sugar 'pills'. I keg most of the brew, but bottle a few to give away. The package claims they are sterile (except after opening, of course). I just wash my hands before handling them. Haven't had a problem yet.

Kephren said:
I have never used Coopers, but I do use those corn sugar 'pills'. I keg most of the brew, but bottle a few to give away. The package claims they are sterile (except after opening, of course). I just wash my hands before handling them. Haven't had a problem yet.

That makes a lot of sense, if you only need to bottle a small amount of beer, measuring out the proper amount of corn sugar would be difficult, the drops/pills would be much better.

I learn something every day. Too bad though, I forget a couple things everyday too.

Back